Mastotron vs Aftershock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WBasstrolo, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Mastotron

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Aftershock

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. a carrot covered in velcro

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. WBasstrolo

WBasstrolo

May 10, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm finally on my way to finishing out my effects board and am looking for input.
    I've been lusting after a mastotron for ages, but recently discovered the joys of Source Audio.

My board is heavily inspired by Nerve/John Davis/Janek/etc. and I'm getting fairly close except for the gated fuzz. I'm definitely interested in the wackier sounds the aftershock can produce, but I don't think I'll be satisfied if it can't nail a wooly mammoth/mastotron vibe.

My current chain is the following:
    Cog T-65
    WH Pork Loin (definitely keeping on board)
    WH Swollen Pickle (might kick off depending on new fuzz)
    *missing fuzz*
    IE Xerograph Deluxe (with moog expression pedal)
    SA Orbital Modulator
    SA Nemesis Delay (also using this for my bitcrushing until I fix my sonic reducer)
    SA Vertigo Tremolo

TLDR;

Will I regret getting an aftershock instead of a mastotron?
    Does anyone have both and picked one over the other?

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    I have both. The Aftershock is a an amazing pedal and incredibly versatile. It has several gated options that sound good when stacked with some of the muff models in the editor. But neither of them sound much like a Mastotron. Which is why I have both on my board.

FullTime Tim likes this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want more than just a fuzz, the aftershock is definitely a good choice. you can create your own distortion sounds via source audio app. you can easily duplicate that zvex mastotron with the app. but if you wanted to be more authentic, you can go with the zvex matrotron.

4. Yep. Have both. Aftershock cannot recreate mastotron but can do lots o other cool fuzz. Kept both :)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022