Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matamp? Anyone ever heard of them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Oct 1, 2003.

1. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Supposedly hand made in England. Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? Beuler?

[​IMG]

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea they make mostly guitar amps in varrying colors. however, you can have a custom bass amp made, but it would be mean expensive.

3. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    This looks fairly new. Saw it in the used section of BassNW. Note the locking input jack. 140 watts of all tube for $799.

4. This is interesting. If you look at the Matamp site you'll see Jimmy Page's orange '71 Matamp which has both the Orange and Matamp logos on it. Currently they offer Matamp in virtually every colour except orange.

The Orange amp site makes no reference to Matamp. Go figger.

5. Matamp was the original maker(matty mathiass)of tube amps that were eventually marketed under the
    Orange brand label for the Orange Music chain of
    stores that were operated by a Mr Cooper(if i remmber correctly) out of Huddersfield.A similiar
    type of marketing.manufacturing situtation as the
    Marshall/Park/Kitchens(essentially the same basic
    model except some minor differences)amp of the late 60's thru 70's era in England.

6. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    If im not incorrect in my thinking, Matamp was one of the original makers of guitar amps back in the 50's. They all were sold originally under the Matamp name, but later all the amps sold in the southern half of Britain were orange and those sold in the Northern half were labeled Matamp. They were the same amp essentially, even very close cosmetically. At some point they split into two seperate entities, but they still use the same designs. They market there heads as working for either guitar or bass, no dedicated bass amp i knoow of.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I saw that at BASSNW as well. Definately a good deal considering a new one sells at 1750.00. I just don't know how good of a bass amp it would be. If I could play it first then thats one thing, but I'm not sure about going out on a line for 140 watts of something that seems cool.

Orange makes, I believe its the AD200, which is a 200 watt all tube Bass head, that would rock. But at $2300 I think I will have to just assume it kicks ass, cuz I can't afford it.

9. The $2300 AD200 is the point-to-point wired version. Orange is shipping a PCB version of the amp that's selling for around $1600. Still all tube, but not PtP wired. I haven't had a chance to play one yet, but the local Orange dealer near me ordered one and it should be showing up soon :) I was playing a '78 Marshall Super Lead w/ KT88's through a Marshall 4x12 for a while as my bass rig and it sounded HUUUGE. I think the Orange is going to have the same kind of vibe. Really aggressive, in your face...almost SVTish...but with some of the more obvious British qualities that old Super Bass heads have.

:brad:

10. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Where did you hear about this? Are they shipping now? A PCB version would be cool for me.

11. I'm friendly with the local Orange dealer and we were talking about it maybe a week ago. I had known about the PCB version for a few months but he mentioned that his next order had one in it. I can't wait to play it.

:brad:

12. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    That sounds awesome. I could not find any word of it on the net. Gonna have to call my local dealer and pick their brain about it. Thanks.