Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matamp...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jun 22, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My newest obsession in my universe of eternal GAS is a custom built all-tube bass amp. I'm really feinding-out over Matamp . Heres the Bass amp specific page. I've never played one, but have heard George Rice's (ex-High on Fire) live, and it was absolutely insane. Anyone have any experience with one?

Or any other custom all-tube bass amp recommendations I can jonze over.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Looks to me like you might entertain the idea of getting an Orange amp.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm partial to the Orange AD200B too. I'm hoping to take one for a spin later this summer.

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    mmmm...yep, i've entertained the idea quite a bit. I would love to try one...might have to hunt down a dealer. Right now, I'm stuck on the idea of a custom built head though.

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    here a cool link
    and a sweet pic from that site
    [​IMG]

6. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

is work of art, with a mighty fine looking lady on an equally pretty stack of cabinets. Might have the year wrong.

My guess would be the amps are mighty fine also.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    [​IMG] :D

8. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

A guitarist bud (with talent, taste a voice and an actual ear for sound, balance and blend) at work ordered it for me. Our office manager opened all mail. She got a kick out of it.

I kinda remember an Orange amp add that had some dolly on a bed holding a cherry SG. That was acool one also.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

9. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Or any other custom all-tube bass amp recommendations I can jonze over.[/QUOTE

www.electrosonicamplifiers.com

Check this out if you want a true custom tube amp.
    I had discussed building a 200-watt bass amp using (4) KT-88's, matched with a 2x12 cab w/ Weber drivers. It would have been intense, an updated B-15, like no other amp around, custom chassis, knobs, everything!

He deserves wider recognition- Great work, knows his business.

10. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Just checked out Electosonic’s website – the stuff looks amazing! Talk about works of art!

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...that chick WILL be my next wife...

~S~

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Have at her man, she's my ex.....

:bag:

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I wonder if they would make any high powered bass gear (200 watts or more)...

14. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I wish Framus made bass amps.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    WooHoo!

Those Electrosonic amps are sweet! I'd take one of those over the Matamp.

-Mike

16. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
    I think Matamp is what the orange guys started when the "original" orange was taken over by $company

can't remember the actual name
    but I think I read so over at ebassist when asking about orange some day

17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Those electrosonic amps are cool as hell...not quite what i'm after, but what a nice looking living room rig this would make. Looks like the head would slide right off the cab though. Interesting driver configuration too.
    [​IMG]

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am really intrigued by those Electrosonic amps, too. The gear on their webpage looks great, and the prices are really quite reasonable, considering the time and materials involved. The 6SN7 based preamp, X90, looked very intriguing. They don't list a price for it, though.

If anyone does ever get a chance to hear an all-tube bass head from these guys, I'd love to hear about it. I would also love to hear from those of you who have actually played the Matamp rigs. I've been watching Matamp (and Orange) for some time, too.

Great thread!

Tom.

19. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
  20. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Matamp was responsable for the design of Orange amplifiers in its early years of conception. Matamp was started by Mat Mathias in the late 50's, he partnered w/ Cliff Cooper who owned a shop called "Orange." Together they produced & distributed the early matamps which had a black tolex. Then they changed them to an Orange tolex, and added the Orange logo. Thats how Orange was born. The company grew in popularity after that, becoming extremly sought after by some of the world's best musicians like Jimi Page and Peter Green. They went their seperate ways, an Mat continued to build amps under the Matamp name. Thats why you'll see early Orange amps w/ the Matamp logo on them.
    [​IMG]