observations, social trends

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rustyshakelford, May 15, 2003.

1. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Has anyone here tried this?

You register, you enter search parameters (age, proximity), you get a bunch of matches.

I notice several recurrences:
    - 35 year old women who want children
    - 30 year old women divorced with children

I read a paper recently refuting Malthus. The argument went, as socities develop, the women get smarter, careers, etc., social norms chaange, and you end up with German/Italy, etc., i.e., countries with low birth rates and decining/aging populations.

Getting back to the observations, who are these women that get divorced so young? Who did they marry? Did they not sense trouble during dating?

And the poor women that don't have children, and develop careers, are driven crazy by their clocks. And what are they thinking: date for a year, gat married, wait a year have a kid.

The ability to have children is a blessing and a curse.
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that

a) Both catagories you describe are IMO usually less than desirable - the young mothers and the ticking biological clocks are not what most guys are looking for, so they are more desperate, that's why often they have been reduced to internet dating. (IMO)

b) A lot of the young mothers may have had their children out of wedlock, had marriages only because of the children, or had a children while in a bad marriage. Most marriages involving people in their early twenties are a bad idea and don't last too long. (IMO / IME) It's fair to consider these aspects of the person when considering dating. See above.

c) Rusty Shackleford, I think you have the coolest user name ever

d) I think you should involve yourself with some groups / participate in some activities in your community where you stand to meet single women in your area and just forget about dating sites like and wait to meet someone the old fashioned way - when you least expect it. (again - just my opinion)
  3. The women getting divorced young with kids are, disproportionately, the ones who got married very young (more often than not because of a pregnancy) and never had a chance for any professional development.

As for the 35-year-old childless professional women, read this Atlantic Monthly article.
  4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    Oh for goodness sakes :(

I have high hopes for my generation :meh: