Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Match - Stingray and Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Heya

I wanna know whether my upcoming SR5 will work with my current Ashdown Klystron BM 400.

I hear that some amps don't deal well with the low frequencies, but I bought the Ashdown when I play four, and wanna know if it can handle the five??

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is that a combo or a head?
    any preamp will handle lows, the more power the poweramp section of your head has, the better as lows tend to eat up watts. as far as speakers go, it really depends upon the drivers themselves and the cabinet design. Worst case scenario, you find that the lowest lows are starting to cause your speakers to "fart out" so you have to cut back on the bass a bit on the bass or the amp. the 3 way switch on the MMV is also cool as some settings have less obnoxious low end than others.

3. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I've got an SR5 playing through an Ashdown 500 EVO II + Ampeg SVT_410HLF classic. The lows are very "stool-loosening". (Especially when you take the subout to a mesa 2x15)