1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

matched set of tubes ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveDeVille, Mar 31, 2009.

1. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i have a 1992 Fender Bassman 300 Pro ,
    and want to replace the old "Fender" tubes ...

after reading about this amp , i think a set
    of Svetlana 6550C's would do the trick very nicely .

do any companies sell sets of SIX matched tubes ?
    { all i can find on evilbay is a set of 4 ...}
    :confused:

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  3. DaveDeVille

thanks for that ....
    i love TalkBass !!

:D
    EDIT:
    can anyone explain the differences between these tubes ,
    or , is there really any difference other than the names ?

Svetlana 6550c
    Electro Harmonix 6550
    Tungsol 6550
    Svetlana 6550c-SV
    Svetlana " CRYO " 6550

and what does the " medium/green " stand for ?
    :confused:

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Try all of the usual tube vendors out there on the net, to see if they'll sell matched sextets. I'm sure Tube Depot or Eurotubes could fix you up if you ask them by e-mail or phone.

5. DaveDeVille

uhmmm , thanks ... :cool:

is there a difference between the tubes i listed earlier ?

anybody have any experience with these different brands ?

:ninja:

6. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I can't help w/ the differences between those, but I should mention that I've seen Fenders from a similar era that came with some of the last USA production tubes.
    Especially if the ones that are in there say USA on them, don't throw them out. Chances are there's some good pairs or a quad in those six you have.

7. DaveDeVille

thanks for the replies ...

anybody have experience with the tubes i mentioned ?

:ninja:

8. DaveDeVille

.... :ninja:

9. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Check out the tube store. I just got some Winged-C SED KT88 tubes and they were the best price around.
    They probably have some of the other tubes you are looking for info on, and offer info on them.
    I'd recommend the Winged-C 6550 tubes, and they're on sale.

10. Take it for what its worth but Ive heard many people say that there really is no audible difference in different tube manufacturers. Mainly what people perceive as "better" is really just going from old used tubes to new fresh ones. The newer, fresher ones having a richer sound regardless of the make.

The only difference i've seen people discuss is the overall quality of certain tube manufacturers.

I can recommend Tung-Sol tubes. It's apparent to me that the quality is better than other tubes, along with the "perceived" sound quality.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'll second the sed winged c tubes. If you order from any online store like the tube store they will match the pairs you buy. Of the tubes you listed, I've tried the svetlanas and they're ok but I like the sound of the sed tubes better, and yes I've actually a/b'ed them. I've never used ehx power tubes but their pre tubes are ok, so they might be fair. All the other tubes you listed are sovtek tubes, as they own the tung sol and svetlana names now. The cryo are just a treated tube that is supposed to have longer life but I haven't tried it or heard opinions on if it works. The medium green is a rating in terms of sound

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...according to Lord Valve, whose opinion I trust imminently, Tung-Sol 6550s are a great choice...Sovtek 6550 WEs are also a solid choice & less expensive than the T-Ss...

13. DaveDeVille

:cool:
    after even more research , i've decided to go with a set of Electro-Harmonix 6550EH tubes .
    got a great price from www.deepsurplus.com

thanks for all the replies and recommendations ...

i'll start another thread after i install the new tubes , and also give a gig report ...

14. DaveDeVille

here is the Bassman 300 Pro ...
    fenderrig002-1.
    and here are the tubes installed .
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] fenderrig005.
    and my current rig setup ...
    [​IMG] fenderrig003-1.
    drivinthebus.
    :cool:
    i agree with Spedracer , that any new tube is probably going to sound " richer ".

i've used these tubes on the last couple of gigs , and the Bassman has never sounded as good as it does right now ...

i can't really comment on any other brand besides my Electro Harmonix .
    but , these 6550 EH definitely make my Bassman sound fuller , and deeper .
    absolutely satisfied with my sound ,
    and i'd highly recommend the ElectroHarmonix brand of tubes.
    [​IMG]
    :D

15. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    To my knowledge there is no need for matched tubes with the 300 Pro, as all the bias can be adjusted for each tube individually. However there ARE big differences in the sound of different manufacturers tubes. But be aware, that sometimes the manufacturer of the amp uses other OEM tubes than written on. In my experience Fender does not produce tubes themselves.

16. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I thought there was only one adjustment on the back of the amp. Not saying you are wrong, but if there is an adjustment for each set, where is it?

17. You can by a matched sextet. It costs a little more because they have to burn up more tubes. I would shy away from just about any New Sensor power tubes, including TungSol and EH. For my money I think SED (=C=) makes about the best 6550.
    Good Luck

18. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio

There are 2 test points and 2 adjustments. Bias adjusts to 100mV and balance to 0V. You don't have to use a matched set, but you should use a set that are all the same type, brand, and age.

I like the Winged C 6550Cs, BTW. There are a lot of reviews online saying the Svetlana 6550C is the one to have, and it is, but in America for the last few years they have been distributed under the brand "Winged C".

19. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    Yeah, mojo hobo is right: the truth lies in between, there are two adjustments and two test pionts, but the slave tubes do not have individual adjustments. That can only be done by individual soldering of resistance, but is too much of a good thing. Like mojo hobo wrote no matched set is needed but the tubes should be of one type and same age.