1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Matching amp and cab brands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AngryHammer, Dec 26, 2017.

1. AngryHammer

AngryHammer Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Eureka CA
    Mostly I've heard that it is necessary to match head and cab brands to get the most out of both with Mark Bass, but I've heard it concern g others occasionally as well. Opinions?

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'd put in this in the folklore/urban legend category...no real truth to it IME. Now if you want to get the most out of the GK head with the bi-amp (horn management system) feature, you'll need a GK head and cab. If you want to get the most out of the Bergantino B/Amp cab matching profile software, you might want to use Berg cabs. However, GK and Berg heads and cabs sound absolutely great with other heads and cabs...as do the other brands out there.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    ^Spot on.

Al Kraft likes this.
  4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Agree. There are those highly specialized gimmicks that are only available to heads/cabs that share these features.
    On the other hand, there are brands that only do cabs and brands that do only heads.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    In my experience, it seems not to matter. I regularly use a Genz Benz Shuttle or Shuttlemax with my Aguilar GS 112's and it sounds terrific. There is one cab I own that seems to match up well only with a head by the same manufacturer. I play upright bass a lot and was looking for a lightweight cab to use and purchased an Aguilar SL112 online. I tried to use it with my Shuttle and the tone was not very good for upright bass. I eventually tried the cab with my Tone Hammer 500 and that was the answer to that tone question. The SL112 and TH500 match up very well and that is the rig I use on many of my gigs on upright. I still prefer the GS112/Shuttle or GS112/AG700 for electric bass.

As always, matters of tone are personal decisions we have to make for ourselves. I get compliments on my bass tone but what I like may not be what you like.

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. harleyboy

harleyboy

Jan 8, 2007
    Ran an Ampeg SVT III with a Hartke 4.5Xl for 12 years....LOVED IT!! Never an issue and everybody loved my sound!!