Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

matching amp head with Epifani 210UL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cptnhook, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Any recommendations on which head to use with a single Epifani 210UL (4 ohms)?

My current amp is an SWR Bass 350, and I'd like a little more headroom and maybe some more tone shaping abilities.

Currently considering:
    Thunderfunk
    Eden 550
    EA iamp 500

I'm looking for versatility in tone - this will be used for a lot of different genres, but mainly pop, rock, and a little funk (slap) and fusion. Used with drums, keys, electric gtr played through 2x12, acoustic gtr, and 2 vocs - at moderate volume levels. Let's assume no PA support.

I'm planning on getting another cab at some point, so the ability to use a 2-ohm load is also preferred. Thanks

2. I used a 210UL for a while, and now have a 310UL and 410UL. I've played gigs with the 210UL using a WW Ultra, a TF550 and an iAmp800, among other heads, and BY FAR feel the TF is the best match for that cab. The 550 watts into 4ohms should be just about perfect. The iAmp800 sounded good, but something about the preamp voicing didn't seem to really blossom with the Epi... the presets sounded particularly bad with the Epi and the iAmp... with the lows way too tubby and boomy, the highs way too sizzly and the mid scoop way too extreme in both contour I and II. Without using the presets, the iAmp sounded OK, but it just never sounded as good as the Thunderfunk set basically flat. By 'good', I mean a very, very usable bottom (low end can be the death of a 210 cab) and a warm treble response that was perfectly amplified by the upper mid and treble voicing of the Epi.

PS I never played the Eden550/210UL combo, but really like that head also... fellowTBer Wilbyman uses a 550/112UL and loves it. I would think either the TF or the Eden would sound very, very good with the 210UL... with the TF being a little punchier and the Eden having a little more tube warmth and roundness in the low end.

PSS Don't you just smile every time you pick that cab up (much less play through it) :hyper:

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not the Epifani UL502 head?

while all of those heads would sound terrific, Epi on Epi gear is MOST righteous.

[​IMG]

4. Didn't see you comment about the 2ohm load when I originally posted.... the iAmp800 would probably be the only choice for that... just stay off those presets!

The Epi heads are great also... but I'm not sure they are worth the 33% price premium over the Eden or TF. Just my opinion.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    totally,

just yesterday, i was at a rehearsal hall and had to use an SWR Workingman stack, and boooooooy oh boy, did i miss my Epi setup. :meh:

and interesting you didnt dig the iAMP w/ your Epi's. i thought it sounded fine. did take some tweaking, but i got it to joker land.

still, compared to the Epifani head i use now, there's no contest. nick voiced them for one another, and his proof is definitely in the puddin'.

but your TF comparison is NOT helping my GAS. :scowl:

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, the Eden WT550 does 620 watts @ 2 ohms, no?

and while the Epi head did cost me, the smile that slides across my face when caught up in a stanleyC like groove is more than worth it. ;)

but i think Dave Wilson and i should have a little powwow and compare the TF/Epi sometime soon.

7. I was probably giving the iAmp a little too hard of a time... I got it so that it sounded fine... but no matter where I centered the EQ (and I'm an old full parametric guy from the old Rane, etc. days), it always sounded a little 'peaky' to me.... not bad at all... just not as good as the Walter or especially the TF. I really did hate those presets though!

The only thing I can think of regarding my lack of liking for the iAmp is maybe that the bass and treble controls are not shelving? I don't know... maybe they are... but it just didn't sound as good as I thought it should.... it neve put that big, warm pillow up bass under my playing like I find with other heads.

That all being said.... I REALLY want one of those Epi902's!!!! :help:

8. Forgot about the Eden running at 2ohms.... man... I'm typing faster than I'm thinking... sorry :eek:

9. I like the 502 with my Epifani cabs. Last week I tried Jacove (Tb'er) Thunderfunk/El Whappo and that was a pretty amazing rig. I liked the Accugroove but my Epi's also sounds great. Anyway the Thunderfunk is a great amp and I have the gas for one. It is small, ligth and have more sound options then the 502UL (I'm not sure that's a good thing :eyebrow: )

-Christian

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey,

I'll chime in with my ra-ra-sis-boom-ba for the 550. I'm using it with a 110UL/112UL and the sound is wonderful. I'm running the Eden EQ flat with a touch of bass boost. The sound is quite phat with a nice smooth high end and plenty of gooey burp in the midrange. It sounds great for slap or fingerstyle. I haven't really gigged the setup hard but I believe it will have plenty of power at 4 ohms.

Will

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had my Epi cab before I bought my iAMP. I was quite worried about what I was getting myself into after reading several comments that Epi cabs don't play well with EA amps. Hogwash! My iAMP500 sounds most awesome with both of my Epi cabs. I will admit that it isn't plug and play, so it takes some work. However....however...once you learn the power behind those little knobs on an iAMP, be prepared for audio orgasms!! :D

-Mike

12. I also always found the EQ on the iAmp's to be very simple... not that much different that most amps, many of which having at least mids that are semi-parametric. I also found it sounded fine with the Epi's.... I just found that the iAmp sounded better with other cabs (especially the newer EA cabs) and that other heads like the Thunderfunk sounded better with the Epi IMO (again by better, I mean punching through in a gig situation, not sitting in a room by oneself A/Bing, etc.) However, if you love that pairing, that's what makes the world go round :hyper:

13. That's a really good point. A lot of us that post a lot here have pretty much state-of-the-art equipment. When I say that I like something better than something else, it's more... good to better rather than bad to good. I could spend the rest of my gigging life playing out of any combination of Epifani, Walter Woods, EA, Thunderfunk, Accugroove, Acme, Eden, etc. etc. and be relatively happy with the sound... it's just that when you really get down to it, there are some combinations that sound more 'perfect' than others depending on the sound you want. Again... good point :)

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not like I haven't been suggesting it for months! :p

I love the TF/Epi combination - nice tight bassy sound.
    KJung is right, in that the Eden 550 sounds a bit 'rounder' than the TF. I personally didn't love it with the Epi UL210, but maybe that's because the TF/Epi combo sounds so good

15. Thanks for the responses everyone!

No kidding...the Epi is unbelievably light. With the latest designs and materials that are available to cab manufactureres, I gotta say that it's a great time to be a bass player! :bassist:

Joker, if $ were no object, I would definitely audition the Epi 502. I saw a used one here for 1200, but even that is a little steep. As it stands, I'm left to consider only "lower-high-end stuff". Is that even a word?

Again, thanks everyone for the really useful info! To go into more specifics, I like a tight, punchy low end. I really enjoy being able to cut through yet keeping the tone smooth, i.e., cutting through with the low mids as opposed to relying on cranking the upper mids. I want to be able to add "snarl" or "grit" as an effect (with my SABDDI +/or bassdrive) and not have to rely on those types of tones to cut through. Hope I'm explaining myself well.

It sounds like the TF might fit the bill. I don't mind tone tweaking any more than the next guy, but the plug-and-play reputation of the TF is enticing. Does it have the ability to go down to 2 ohms?

16. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    ".... To go into more specifics, I like a tight, punchy low end. I really enjoy being able to cut through yet keeping the tone smooth, i.e., cutting through with the low mids as opposed to relying on cranking the upper mids. I want to be able to add "snarl" or "grit" as an effect (with my SABDDI +/or bassdrive) and not have to rely on those types of tones to cut through. Hope I'm explaining myself well...."

The Epi 502 does the "tight punchy low end" thing really well.
    Might be worth keeping an eye on this......
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIFANI-UL502-B...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers
    Oz

17. I use either the 502 with a pair of 210UL's, or a T-Funk TFB420 with one of the 210UL's. Great tone either way.

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, I've tried both with the UL-210 and while my personal preference is for the Thunderfunk the Epi sounded great too. I don't think one sounded markably 'better' than the other.
    If I got the chance to pick up a used 502 at a decent price I'd do so. Otherwise, given I think the Epi and TF are comparable quality I'll stick with the lower priced one for now :)

19. The Epifani and Thunderfunk sites don't provide power data at 2 ohms, so I guess running them at 2 ohms is not advisable. Can anyone confirm this?

I guess that leaves the Eden. I've had good experiences with their stuff, but I was hoping to try something different - y'know, the grass is always greener.

20. I know that the TF is not designed to run at 2ohms. I'm pretty sure that the Epifani also is only safe down to 4, but not 100% on that.