matching amp with old marshall bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andreduracell, Aug 15, 2005.

1. andreduracell

Aug 15, 2005
    Hi everyone

I have two marshall 4x12 1935B bass cabs, they're pretty old and were given to me. they say 75w and 16 ohm. right now I'm using a hartke 3500 with them. The hartke is rated at 240 w @ 8 ohm, so I'm delivering 120w into each channel, correct?

only thing is it's not really loud enough, it's sort of just enough for most situations, but when I need some more power, by turning up the volume, only the tone changes, not the volume. this must be the amp distorting...

it's happened a few times during gigs that the amp cuts out for a couple of seconds, as if it went into some overheat protection mode.

so I want a more powerful amp, but don't want to destroy my speakers. I'm thinking of getting a preamp and a power amp but don't really know how powerful to go. I'm sure the cabs can handle more than 75w but just how much? this power amp ( delivers 260 watts per channel for only 300 euros/dollars. is that going to be too much or too little power (I have a hunch that it's not enough). will I blow my cabs if I play too loud?

oh, one last thing I don't quite play bass...!

looking forward to hearing some expert opinions