1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Matching Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zergerer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. zergerer

zergerer

Mar 18, 2008
    Adelaide, SA
    Hi everyone, hoping to hear some opinions on this forum.
    I own a reasonably old but pretty sound SWR 400W head. It has some cool stuff on it like being able to run speakers in stereo at 2x200W output and mono 400W. It has the low/high frequency crossover patches as well to run different frequencies through different speakers. I have an 800W, 8-ohm Mercury (some generic brand) 4x10 cab with Eminence speakers in storage in Perth where I used to live (now in Adelaide). This used to sound pretty good on its own with the SWR, but as I can't get it shipped for a while I'm thinking of buying another cab and then running two cabs. An option I have seen recently is for an Eden D115XLT 15inch cab with tweeter. It is rated at 400W and 4ohms. Would this sound good enough on its own to gig with for a while, paired up with the SWR, and would it be appropriate to match it with the Mercury cab later to run in stereo and take advantage of the freqency splitter on the amp? Or is there an ohmage-underpower problem if I run it in stereo?
    Any recommendations on better options?
    Cheers for all replies.:)

2. zergerer

zergerer

Mar 18, 2008
    Adelaide, SA
    :bump was away over easter. A few looks I see but no answers? Yet?
    Z

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Eden will sound good by itself if you like the sound of a 15 by itself. And if you have two volume controls you could compensate for the lack of volume in the 8 ohm cab. If not, you may actually like having more volume in the 15". I prefer to match impedances in cabs, but some people dig it. Shouldn't be an issue with your head (SM-500 or 400?) but double check the manual first.

4. zergerer

zergerer

Mar 18, 2008
    Adelaide, SA
    thanks Jimmy, no it doesn't have two volume controls, but it does have a balancer and a frequency crossover knob to drive different frequencies through left or right channels. It is an SM-400, I don't believe they make them any more, just the SM-300s or SM-500s. It was made in the arly 90s I think. It has a standard tube gain and solid state master volume. Not a bad amp really and probably expensive to replace.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, they haven't made the 400 for years. Not all that expensive to replace, though. Used ones are pretty reasonably priced, thanks in major part to the trashing they used to get on Talkbass.

6. I've got the 115 Eden and it sounds decent by it's self. It doesnt have the presence and punch a 410 has but it will do as stand alone for a while. I bi-amp mine with a goliath 410 and it really sounds good!

7. if the head wasn't that much, I'd definitely get it :D