Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matching Bass with Guitar

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ooc148, Apr 7, 2004.

1. ooc148

ooc148

Apr 7, 2004
    Does anyone know an easy way to match a bass with a guitar so it all sounds good together?? :bag:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Make sure your playing doesn't clash horribly?

If you aren't sure how to do this play what the guitar does for a few bars then experiment with ways that you can branch out and still keep the riff/groove going.

Also talk to guitar player (they are people too :D ) ask him or her questions if you have them.

For something easy start with a bluesy, scalar bassline while the guitar plays a lick, or try something funky and make him try to adapt to you.

If that doesn't work fall back on easy well known riffs (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Beatles, etc) and you and your guitarist should be able to jam something out.

Hope that helped, thats what I do when I jam with new guitarists.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    The fail-safe solution is to play the root note on your bass of the chord the guitarist is playing. For example, if the guitarist is playing a C major chord (C E G) you can play the note C, which is the root.

This isn't going to get you very far, so you want to take the time to learn about chords, their functions, and how they relate to what the other musicians are playing. This is one thing that will aid you in creating interesting basslines harmonious with the guitar.

There's so much more to it, but that's the basics. Baby steps. :)

Check out Jazzbo's lovely article on Introduction to Chord and Scale Theory:
    http://www.talkbass.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=31

4. Your job as a bassist is to match with the kick drum.

If your guitarist can't match up with you, then that's your guitarist's problem :) :) :)

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Lock in on the drummer!! Not only the kickdrum. In most rock the drummer will be hitting something the same time the bass does, not always the kick drum, it seems like it sometimes.

6. are you talking about:

-harmony
    -rhythm
    -tone

please let me know and then i can help you...

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Listen to what the other person's playing. ;)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...who sez it has to match?

Now where's that Derek Bailey-Bill Laswell-Tony Williams' disc I've been lookin' for?