1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Matching heads and cabs, wattage issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheDude007, Jan 18, 2012.

1. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    Ok, so I'm looking at changing my rig up. As I've been browsing everything that's out there right now, I've noticed that it seems like heads are getting higher and higher wattages, and it doesn't seem like there are enough high wattage cabs to keep up with them. My ideal thought is to get a head and two 2x10 cabs. One 2x10 would be plenty to keep up at practice, and if we're playing bigger shows, I want the option of adding a second 2x10. It seems like the lowest wattage amps with decent features are all at least 500w now. I understand a bit about ohm rating and all of that and if I get one that's 500w at 4ohms and run it into an 8ohm cab it will basically cut that in half, so we're looking at 250w, and even that is hard to find in a 2x10. Am I the only one that's had this problem? I don't want to spend a LOT of money. I also don't want to haul a giant cab all over creation. I guess I'd consider myself more of a hobbyist...I know I'm never going to be a pro bass player, but I do want a good sound, and I know what sounds good. Any input from anyone? Similar experiences? What did you do? Throw wattage ratings on cabs to the wind? Assume wattage ratings on heads are fluffed a bit?

2. Most of us have figured out that cab wattage input ratings are like breasts on Nuns, can be nice to look at but......

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes. They bear no relationship with how low or loud they'll go or how much power they can actually make use of.

4. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    Your two 2x10 cab idea is a good one. I have two Aguilar GS-210 cabs that I stack vertically. Net impedance is 4 ohms and it sounds great.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 just forget the rating on the cab, and buy based on tone.

6. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    As others have said, you are on a good track with your reasoning. The things I like to keep in mind about cabinet ratings is that they are generally very optimistic. The general rule of thumb is regardless of the numbers, trust your ears to avoid doing damage to your cabinets. If it sounds like you are putting too much into the cabs and they're starting to fart out, you probably are correct, so turn it down or add a second can.

7. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the responses everyone! This is exactly what I was looking for and why I keep coming back to this forum!

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    These. Efficiency is more important to total volume anyhow.

e.g. 2x Bag End S-15D: power handling 'only' 400W, stupid loud and great tone

9. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    Ha! I was going to post the same!

My 2 Bag End S-15D and S-15DX are very conservatively rated at 400 watts for the pair but are surprisingly loud and full, especially given their relatively small volume.

10. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    So if they're rated at 400w, how many watts are you actually putting into them? I guess what I mean is what sort of head are you running them with?