matching heads to cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by le bass, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Question is, is it important to match the RMS program or the RMS continuous? I have a EAiamp 600(600w) and a 4x10 at 700w program and 350w continuous. Am I under/over powering the cab? Does it matter?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Is the 4x10 4 ohms? If not, you are getting closer to 350W from the iAMP and things are perfectly matched.
  3. That's right it's 600w @ 4 ohms and the cabinet is also 4 ohms
  4. From what I understand, program watts is a representation of the desired wattage going into the speaker from the amp, at its rated ohms. So, you're pretty close with your EAiamp, but ideally you'd want a 700w@4ohm amp powering it. That said, though, I think that as long as your close, you're fine. Most speaker and amp manufacturers understand that you can't go out and buy a new amp everytime you use a different cabinet.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, I think program watts are a *maximum* that is recommended. Still I agree with Gogmagog, you should not have any problems with that amp and cab. I just would not run the amp at 10 all night.
  6. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    The understanding I've come to is that Program Wattage is pointless when looking at a head for a cab, and is basically just double your RMS, I believe in a thread like a week back this was discussed in great lengths and petebass and Bgavin had a lot of information on this subject.

7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're essentially 600w into a 350 watt cab. It can be done but you really need to use caution. Generally speaking, an amp rated at 600w rarely ever puts out 600w in normal laying situations. If your just laying down a basic meat-and-potatoes groove, at reasonable band levels, you're probably only putting out 100w or so. So your 350w speaker can handle that without any trouble at all. You can even get a bit excited and pluck a bit harder and the speaker is still recieving a wattage level which is below it's RMS rating, so you're fine.

But by now you should be able to see the "But". And it's a big "But".

Push that amp too hard, and feed that speaker more than 350w for extended periods of time, and you could damage the speaker. It may or may not go POP, actually it's more likely to be a gradual deterioration.

So keep the volume knob at reasonable levels. It will not only save your speaker, but give you a nice dose of headroom for those transient spikes us bass players are known to do.
  8. Ok, to clarify things, I searched Peavey's forums for similar questions about program vs. rms ratings, etc.

Roger and/or Aubrey,

What would you consider to be the optimum amount of solid state power for a cabinet rated at 300 watts RMS/ 600 watts peak?

Thanks in advance

There is no definitive answer to that. I usually recommend no less than the RMS (Continuous) rating, and no more than the Program rating.

Peavey considers twice the RMS rating to be a Program rating. Peak would be twice the Program rating.

Roger Crimm

Roger is apparently a Peavey customer rep; according to him, le bass, you'd be ok.
  9. Thanks guys, this is something that has confused me in my search for an amp. Basically I am over powering my cab and I need to use my volume wisely. Good to know.

Thanks again,