Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

matching headstock options

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by paintandsk8, Feb 19, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    So i'm thinking about a frankenjazz project. Here is what i'm thinking of doing- take a fender geddy lee jazz bass body then replace the neck with a neck that has a bound and blocked rosewood fretboard. Then, I'm thinking I would like to make the headstock match the body (probably black). Basically I would be making a bass that would look like a lakland DJ5.

So my question is, Is it possble to repaint a headstock with decent results? I was thinking it would be a possibilty. But with fender style necks, the fretboard slopes into the headstock making a seamless joint. I think that a paint line may be ackward here. Any thoughts or Ideas?

Also, will I be able to get ahold of a new fender decal to put on after the paint?

What about laminating some other black material onto the the headstock?

2. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    curiosity bump

3. First off, I don't know why you would want to use a specific Geddy body when all they are is a Japanese Fender alder body, plain a simple. You would be paying premium for something you could buy straightaway from any aftermarket manufacturer. Second, it is not only possible to paint headstocks with good results, it's done all the time. Third, to make the headstock match the body it would definitely have to be black (Geddy's are black) and it would be easily done with automotive line masking tape.

And no, Fender will not send a replacment decal unless certain photographic proof is provided that the neck in question is being used to replace a neck on a legitimate American product, restoring it to it's "close to original" condition. It would also be an illegitimate use of the logo to put it on a frankenstein even if your intent were benign.

4. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The only reason I was going to use a geddy body was because it was someone was selling a used one and I could get it alot cheaper than buying an aftermarket jazz and putting a Badass II and 60's pickups in it.

The fender decal was just for looks I guess. I just don't like the look of a blank headstock.

5. OK. The way it was sounding, I thought you were going to go looking for a Geddy to do that to. It didn't sound...efficient. :meh:

Get a white waterslide decal paper and use a black outline on whatever you design. Then it can blend with the headstock. To make it blend better, don't just print solid black as your color. Print solid black and solid cyan if you can and you'll have a richer black.

6. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the tip but this project never happened. I got a bass with a real matching headstock. :D

I'm sure someone else will find it useful though.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've been thinking about doing this to an SX '75 neck I have. I've gotta sand the head anyway. I was going to reshape, so I used an overhead transparency marker to draw an outline, but it stained the finish. There's now a faint blue outline. :rolleyes: