Matching headstock with maple board what do you think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 5, 2003.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It comes down to personal taste but i want to see what everyone here at TB thinks.If you can please post some pics of matching headstocks basses with maple fingerboards. Keep the bass comming :bassist:
  2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Headstock matching the body (ie: book matched/fancy AAA tops)? Or headstock matching the maple fingerboard a la one solid chunk of wood (ie: 51 pbass)?

Here's a pic of a bass that I've been working on for what feels like most of the 21st century (just started a new job - haven't done anything with it in months :bawl: ) . Not a maple fingerboard, but the top on the body & on the headstock is spalted maple, and I matched the headstock.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I mean body finish matching headstock. Best of luck in finishing your bass.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I have a couple of Vintage Vortex 5s on the way that are close, but don't entirely match what you're looking for. You see a lot of natural ash bodies with blocks and unfinished headstock (which "technically" matches the body :D ) and you see a lot of matching patinted bodies/headstocks with rosewood. You just don't see that layout very often because Fender just didn't do it, and many builders take their direction from vintage Fenders. Check the F Bass website for some examples, as George is the only builder that I can think of that does that combo on a regular basis.

Good Luck!
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My Dudepit Lakland Joe Osborne is sherwood green/ maple with a matching stock. I'll post a pic tonight if I get a chance.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I love it, but none of my basses have matching headstocks. I think it balances the look beautifully.

I want matching headstocks... :bawl:

Seriously, I do. :)
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sweet basses, guys!

but IMHO, matching headstocks and bodies with maple boards are fugly. especially, the darker the color. but Wolf's is pretty darn cool. then again, its the lighter colors that make it work.

i had Keith Roscoe change my custom order LG3005's headstock to natural, to match the birdseye maple board, which he normally does not do.
  8. Closer on headstock...

9. I love matching headstocks, both of my Pedullas came equipped as such.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
  11. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

hmmm, funny how both those look fimiliar to me..........:D
  13. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    In most cases I prefer a matching headstock. If it's a "classic style" bass (IE, Fender or Music Man) with a bolt-on neck and a maple (not rosewood) fretboard, unmatched is ok.
  14. WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD