1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Matching Newsteads tone on Big Muff. Help?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PrimusNut, Mar 23, 2006.

1. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    if im not mistaken, i read that Newstead uses a Big Muff Electro Harmonix. i bought one on eBay (soon to be here i hope) and im wondering how to match newsteads tone. Gonna be in a band soon, doing metallica covers from the Black Album.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Speaking of Jason, what effects did he use on Justice? His sound was very transparent.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I wasn't aware he really used effects

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    He uses plenty. Among those are the orinigal Muff/PWB combo that was once Cliff's.

5. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    he has also used a lovetone brown source live. He used to use it on his solo break and the segment going into "Bellz"
    I read somewhere that he said that it was the 'nuts' for bass distortion

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Zing!

7. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    this doesnt answer my question

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Random thought-- I wonder if they made him give that back when he quit Metallica?

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No offense, but I think people here are tired of talking about certain popular players and their distortion tone. It's been covered. Try the "search this forum" function, and read the distortion mega-thread. Search on "Newstead" and/or "Muff". The main thig to know is that almost no professional recording ever used just one fx pedal for the signature tone. Even if Joe Famous said "I use a Slovakian Muff" in some interview, that would not be a serious indication that buying a Slovakian Muff on Ebay will make you sound like Joe Famous. Sometimes they say those things because of an endorsement contract, and it has no bearing at all on their recorded tone.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I think this should:

He does for solo bits, but Jason's sound is all about owning awesome gear.

11. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    i dont care how many they use. i just want to get a close match to the tone becuase i like it. i didnt buy the pedal on ebay for THAT reason, i bought it because BOSS ODB-3 sucks and i needed a new pedal, and Big Muff Pi had nice reviews.

guess im off to the search then.

good thing i calmed my temper and didnt write what im thinking lol. might have gotten me banned.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What is there to have a temper about? I can't think of a single Metallica song (Jason Newstead era) that feature's distorted bass. If you are trying to get Jason newstead's tone with ANY distortion pedal, you will be very disapointed.

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Do a search here on TB....I can't remember what the address is but there's a guy on the net who's done an outstanding job of cataloging Jason's gear and his instruments.

I may be wrong, but I think he also "re-recorded" the bass himself on the songs from AJFA and actually raised the levels to an audible level.....it's a cool site if you can find it. (I know it's in a thread here somewhere because that's how I found it)

14. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I think the effect was zero bass and buried under a bazillion guitar tracks.

15. That was me :)

Here's my website, though it's in various states of disrepair right now :(
    http://www.freewebs.com/jasonfan/

Here's the page for his effects:
    http://www.freewebs.com/jasonfan/racksandeffects.htm

And the page for his (LOTS of) basses:
    http://www.freewebs.com/jasonfan/jasonsgear2.htm

As far as effects, the only (recorded) songs Jason uses full blown distortion on is "Devil's Dance" and the 4 Motorhead covers they did on Garage INC. Devils Dance was definatly done with a Big Muff and I would guess that the 4 covers were too (sounds like it). Aside from that, Jason almost always has some overdrive in his sound. Usually coming from a Sansamp along with his usual Ampegs. Live he used a Tech 21 XXL distortion (for Devil's Dance and Bellz) for the Load tours anyways. And he's always used Cliff's Morley Power Wah Boost for Bellz and solos live. As far as I know, Jason never used a Lovetone Brown Source - James Hetfield has used one though. Jason also uses some Chorus (CE-B3), Flange (Boss BF-2), and Phaser (MXR Phase 100) pedals for solo stuff and the intro to King Nothing, and Untill it sleeps. More melodic stuff like that.

As for the Justice issue - this is what Jason had to say about it:

"On the record I wasn't able to focus in on a tone that fit in with the guitars. I'll never make that mistake again. For one thing, I'd use a different bass. I hadn't gotten my WAL basses yet...For the ablum [And Justice For All], I used a Steinberger with a Gallien Krueger head, but it just wasn't happening"

Here's a not so great picture of one of his Steinbergers (he has a white one too)
    http://www.freewebs.com/jasonfan/Justiceblack_files/Steinberger.jpg

Here's where the Justice tracks I did are being hosted:
    http://www.jasonizer.com/justice.html

They're a bit outdated now though. I plan on re-doing the project with the much better gear that I have now, and more of a focus on making the mix more realistic. I have one track done but it's not online right now. Eventually I'll do the rest but I'm pretty busy untill summer.

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, they did. Or so I've read.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You're delusional. Why do you bash my idol ?
    Since I saw Joe Famous in this ad for the Slovakian Muff I just so want one. He's got the perfect tone I've been looking for and says that's his secret. Plus it's true bypass and now comes with a blue LED. That's so rad !

18. I know that Cliff's parents have one of his basses now, and Lars has another. I'm not sure what happened to the pedal. Jason certainly had it while he was with Metallica, but post-Metallica I haven't seen him use it.

19. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :D :D :D You're right, it's so rad I don't know what I was thinking... :D

20. I was always under the impression he used the same distortion as the guitars on Justice...but maybe I'm wrong.......