Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matching of Speaker Cab Efficiency?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Feb 5, 2002.

1. OK! I need a little help and advice from you speaker experts.

I'm looking at pairing another 1x15 cabinet with my current Ampeg SVT-15E. It has a sensitivity rating of 98dB with a maximum SPL of 123 dB. How close would another cab have to be to these specifications without having a problem with a mismatch that actually matters? Do I need to be right on, or can I be a little off one way or the other.

Thanks!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I wouldn't worry that much about efficiency. I would be more concerned with playing to different types of cabinets daisy chained in a mono signal.. You may not have any problems, but I have seen a few instances where a particular cabinet is weak in a given bandwidth as far as response and another is quite strong. This makes EQing always a compromise.

Why not just buy another Ampeg? OR get a 410 to top off the 15" cabinet?

Chas

3. Chas: I have a 4x10. An Ampeg SVT-410HLF.

I am looking at also having a dual 15 set-up and I'm trying to decide between buying another 1x15 or maybe just biting the bullet and getting a 2x15 cab. The only thing that's making me leary of the 2x15 is the size and weight. My 4x10 weighs around 115#s and it's a handful.

I'm looking at maybe getting an Ampeg BSE-115 but its efficiency is slightly lower than the SVT-15E that I already have, but cheaper than another SVT-15E. I've also looked at a Peavey 115BW but I can't get any info on its efficiency. It's a whole lot cheaper than either of the Ampeg cabs, though.

I'm also considering one of the Sunn 2x15s. They're fairly light for a 2x15, but I've been told that their low end response is not really that good. I tried one out in the store. It sounded OK. But the store is definitely not a gig situation.

That's the reason for my question.

4. :D "Yo Sammy"

I have had all Three Brands, Ampeg, Peavy, and Sunn. Although my current rig has 2 Peavy TX810 Cabinets, Peavy makes real good road worthy stuff. If ya go Peavy, go with the Black Widow Series Speakers. I had a 118BW Peavy and it had great lowend. I also had an old Sunn 215 Cab years ago another good cabinet. I also have a 410 Ampeg cabinet and a 210 Peavy cab, I use my 410 Ampeg for practicing with my band and my 210 at home. It all has to do with what you like and what your rig is set up for(watts,ohms,etc) My suggestion is if you can take your Rig into the music store and try the speakers with your rig and see which one ya like. I run an Ampeg SVT Pro 4(1600 watts) and practice through a Peavy Pro Bass with a Deca 525 amp.If there are any questions I can try an answer for ya, you can e-mail me at moe6684@hotmail.com
    Good Luck and Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Pardon me.....

BAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ok sorry.

Now that my outburst is over with, I'll comment:D

I own and have gigged a Sunn 2x15 head (underneath a 300T), and I must say that this thing has more low end than you can imagine. Just jackin' around one day I cranked all the lows on my head and just tapped the E string while muting it with my left hand and my eyes started watering:p:D

Other than that extreme example, the low end response is really incredible, if you ask me. I can't say how it compares to other big brands as I haven't played them, but I can say that it is not lacking in the "low end" department.