1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

matching OHMs????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny Jazz, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Johnny Jazz

Johnny Jazz

Aug 3, 2008
    Im switching from guitar to bass. I bought a GK Backline 600. Its a 300 watt 4 OHMs. Im borrowing a 410 Ampeg speaker 600 watt cabinet . Im scared to blow anything or damage both units. I just remember hearing bass players talking about matching OHms or something like that. Can anybody explain clearly how it works. I know I sound stupid but this is new to me. Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm sure it's in the FAQ, but essentially, your amp cannot go BELOW 4 ohms. I assume the cab you bought is 8 ohms? If so, the amp will put out less power, and if you add another 8 ohm cab, that'll make 4 total, and the amp will push it's total power. If the cab you're using is 4 ohms, you can't add any more.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Check the speaker cabinet for it's impedance (ohmage for newbies) It should be marked on the back input jack panel. If it's 8 ohms then your amp will be able to put out only about 170 watts into it at most.

You can safely add another 8 ohm cabinet so combined you'll now have a 4 ohm load. The amp will be able to put out its full 300 watts-150 watts to each cabinet. If the cabinet you have now is 4 ohms you can't add another cabinet.

4. Johnny Jazz

Johnny Jazz

Aug 3, 2008
    Thanks guys

5. welcome to the dark side

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I didn't realize he was playing double bass? :D

Cheers,
    Liam

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh, wakka wakka. :rollno:

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Just playing around man. ;)

Cheers,
    Liam

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021