Matching output levels of different basses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Jun 1, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a P Bass and an Ibanez semi acoustic. The P Bass has a higher output to the Ibanez. To use them live in the same set I have to adjust the levels on the amp which I don’t want to do, and doesn’t work either if I’m DI’d which is usually the case.

What is the best solution?
    use an A B box with a level on each line so they can be matched?
    use some type of volume boost on my signal chain which I can switch on when only using the Ibanez, such as a BOSS GEB-7 eq pedal?

Or is there a better solution?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    An A/B box with volume pots on each input is a good way to do it without having to boost your gain at some point in your signal chain. The Tonebone has adjustable volumes for the inputs (I think the Boss LS-2 might as well). You can also get a Loooper made with those options.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you don't mind spending- The Radial Bassbone was designed for you. Steve Barr at the 'Pit has them for sale at as good a price as I've seen. The Radial stuff is very well made and sounds killer. IIRC they run something like $230 and for that you get a bunch of very useful features. No glitz, stuff that you can actually use ...
  4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Thanks, but I was hoping for a cheaper option. I live in the UK and can get a BOSS LS-2 or BOSS GEB-7 for about 60 UK pounds, but is there a better option?