Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matching Power Amp to Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by masaru, Sep 2, 2001.

1. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I plan on running my 8 ohm 400 watt Hartke 4.5 XL with a Yamaha CP2000 power amp that delivers 450 watts into 8 ohms. Too much or about right. I'm currently using a 250 watt amp but it clips like mad if I don't keep a handle on the volume.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The only way you'll ever know is by trying it. The rating of your cab is more or less irrelevant.

You can never really say that any amount of power is right or not right except in the context of how you're going to use it. The one thing I can say about your question, though, is that that Yamaha is almost certainly *not* too much. If anything, it might not be enough--depending on the context and setting in which you play.

If your current amp only occasionally clips, and then not by much, then going to a 450-500 watt amp might well solve your problem, especially if that amp has greater *peak* power capacity (as opposed to RMS, which essentially measures continuous power delivery). But if you're *constantly* clipping your current amp, to the point where the sound is very adversely affected a lot of the time, you would probably be better served by going to a 700-1000 watt amp and adding another speaker cab.