Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matching problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassMan257, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Does anyone know how i could put a walnut top on a bass head?

see.. heres my bass with the projected neck style i want....

[​IMG]

how would i put a walnut top on it so it matches?

ps. if this should be in a different fourm, please move it... thx

2. You would need to find a thin walnut "veneer" that closely matches the body wood. That thin veneer is cut close to the headstock shape and then clamped and glued to the headstock. It is then carefully trimmed and sanded before final finish is applied.
    I have never done this, but I don't see why it couldn't be done, as long as the veneer was thin and did not interfere with the height of the face of the headstock.
    Are you building the bass yourself? If you are, you might want to do some serious research on applying veneers in furniture applications. I'm not sure what you'll find online about musical instruments.
    You might want to find a pro for this.

Mag...

3. yeah.. im having someone build it... if i was making it myself, i woulda definitley started out smaller... lol....

ok... i really just need to take it all into a shop and tell them what i want done...

im still clueless on the pickups though.. I like the pbass sound, its just that the pickups kinda look hokey on this guitar... im thinking about just a single neck humbucker, but have absolutely no experiance.. so i just kinda feel dumb... lol