Matching SPL and Impedance!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Apr 22, 2001.

1. OK all you speaker experts. Here's a small question for you.

I under stand speaker impedance and wattage ratings with no problem. I have recently, much to my delight in my quest for more knowledge of the bass and bass amps, discovered "efficiency" ratings. The efficiency part is a new concept to me. After all these years of playing, I never really thought about it before, but have seen quite a bit on it recently. It would explain why some cabinet combinations have worked better than others with the various cabinets I've owned.

How close should the SPL rating be between two cabinets that are to be used together to enable them to function reasonbly close in the sound that they provide?

I am looking to match a 1x15 cabinet with my Ampeg SVT-410HLF. It is 4ohms, 400W RMS, with a sensitivity rating of 99db and a max SPL of 125db.

I know it will need to be 4 ohms, in the 350W to 450W range, but how close would it need to be in the SPL?

I don't care if it has a horn/tweeter or not. I will not be using it alone. So, I guess I'm looking for a real efficient 1x15, 4ohm, 400W cabinet.

2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    It's a good question. I would guess you wouldn't have any problem, as long as the sensitivity of the 1x15 is within, say, 3-4 dB or so of the 4x10. Ampeg's SVT-15E claims 100 dB @ 1w, 1m, as does Eden's D-115. As I recall, Bag End also has similar products. There are likely others that would do well, too. However, the Ampeg and Eden examples are rated for 200 WRMS. You can get a Carvin 1x15 which will handle more than twice that power, but I think it's probably not very loud, and so you'd need to put twice the power into it anyway. Why pay for more kWh than you need to? ;) Other than Carvin, I don't know of too many other 400-watt 1x15 cabs. The Eden D-115XLT is rated at 400 watts, but it has a tweeter and a heavy-duty woofer - but you'll pay a premium for it over the other cabs I mentioned, and it appears to be available only in an 8-ohm version.
    - Mike