1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Matching tones between amp and SansAmp BDDI? Help please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by autodidact, Jan 3, 2012.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Let me start by saying that I already know the point of using the BDDI as a boost/OD is SUPPOSED to change the tone. I was torn between posting this in the "effects" or "amps" section

I was wondering if there's a way to get more of my head's uneffected tone to shine through a bit more or if theres a way to tame the BDDI down a little while still maintaining that grit.

Heres's the set-up:

Squier Jag SS with Dimarzio Model P and Model J -->> Hartke LH1000 -->> BDDI -->>Mesa Powerhouse 410

I love the tone with the SansAmp on because it really fills out our sound but when its off there's just a HUGE cut in the low end. Some of our songs require a cleaner tone and even if I have the bass on my head almost dimed and it just doesn't even come close.

Maybe I need to look at another head? I'm hoping its not that dramatic but I'm hoping someone might have some good advice for me? :help:

Thanks

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    First things first...run your BDDI in front of your amp, not in the FX loop as your diagram infers. Secondly, run the BDDI's blend at no more than 50% / 12:00. This should tame things down a bit. A/B the active and bypassed modes and tweak judiciously. You should be able to come up with a tonal character which is not a radical departure from the other. Here's the bad news...

No matter how I set my BDDI, I find it usually overwhelms the "host" amplifier which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Riis