Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

matching up a 2x10 and 15" cab-oooohmmm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgce, Jun 3, 2003.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have a Carvin 300 watt head that's been working out well for me for a few years now. Want to ditch my piece of crap KMD 4x10 cab and get a new redeye Carvin 2x10 and 1x15 (or maybe even a new Peavey).

Here's my problem. Most 2x10s are rated at 4 ohms and many 15" (in this case a Carvin) is rated at 8 ohms. Now if I were to marry up a 4x10 (often rated at 8 ohms) and the 15" cab, together they would be rated 4 ohms and I'd get the full 300 watts of power from my amp. Cool! BUT I don't want to lug a 4x10 AND a 15" cab. Also, I sometimes have these small coffee shop gigs backing acoustic guitars and I really think a good 2x10 alone would do the trick. Therefore with a 2x10 and 15" in my arsenal, I figure I got it all covered.

However the power rating thing might be a problem. With the 2x10 at 4 ohms and the 15" at 8 ohms; could this mis-match jeopardize my Carvin head? Also, how much wattage do you (anyone) think I'd be getting out of my 300 watt head?

Thanks for the help people!

Ron

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Unfortunately Carvin doesn't give you the flexibility to choose 4 ohms or 8 ohms, but other manufacturers do.

Using an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab produces around a 2.6 ohm load. This is usually to little for amps and they get hot.

I suggest you pickup Avatar cabs. Get their 115 and 210, each in 8 ohms, and you will be able to draw the full power of your amp without overheating it.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ok guys. So one of you is saying that the 8 and 4 ohm cab combo will fry my head (don't like the sound of that one!). While the other says it won't do much at all. Huh?

Also keep in mind; I'm no big time working musician. I'd be insane to blow some serious cash on cabs so I will have to keep my buying options in the neighborhood of say Carvin or Peavy.

Also! I've heard that impedence issues are really of more concern to tube heads. Is it true that solid state amps (like my old Carvin) are less prone to being fried due to odd impedence mixes?

But lastly (and I mean it!), is it at all possible if I were to sort of...daisy chain the cabs? Like say, instead of having both cabs going into the speaker outputs of the amp, I could hook say the 15 to the 2x10 then the 2x10 to the amp?

:confused:

thanks again!

r

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Check the avatars. They are very inexpensive. You should be able to daisy chain your cabs as long as where you plug the speaker group into can handle the load. some speaker out jacks might like 8 ohm, 4 ohm, or 2 ohm loads. as long as are the same or higher you are okay.

Solid State amps will not work well with the speaker load being too low. The amp will get too hot and might burn up. SS amps will function okay with the impedance being higher though. You will just get reduced power.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ok, I'm going to check out the Avatar site in a little bit. Thanks for the tip.

Now that I think of it, I do recall the previous Fender BXR series did have a 2x10 cab rated at 8 ohms. Fender discontinued them and with a little lerking around eBay, I could get lucky. Then again, I know nothing about those cabs. I had an old BXR 300 combo that had plenty of powerfuk but tone-wise that 1x15 cab was just one big ass thud. I have no idea if the 2x10 cab is crap or what. Any word?

Ron

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Holy crap bro, I'm in the middle of the Harmonycentral reviews of your Avatars. I had a peak at the site (will investigate more later).

These cabs seem to be around the price of a new Carvin if not a little cheaper. The looks and specs of the cabs on the site seem pretty impressive to me. The reviews are glowing. But even more so, the 2x10 cabs come in 4 or 8 ohms.

What can I say, thank brother! I just might do it. Avatar...hmmmmmm

Ron

PS Okay, the speakers are Emminece. The horn is Foster (both US made). So the cab MUST be what? Korean? Mexican? How can a cab this good be on the cheap?

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    No advertising costs.

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Check the back of your Carvin amp speaker jacks and see if it lists minimum ohms? If not you might call Carvin's service dept and get the minimum load of your amp from them. I run 2.67 ohms with a Sunn 2000S tube amp and have had no problems for the last 3 years. My Workingman 300 will also handle 2.67. I put my vote in for the Carvin 2-10, but there are a lot of people on this board that don't like them. I did an A/B test with and older eden 2-10 and found that the eden seemed to color the sound more than the carvin. I also have the 15" 8 ohm pro audio carvin in my old fender sidekick cab. They have been berry berry good to me. :D

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    So tell me, how much power are you getting out of your Sunn and Workingman? I know that my Carvin is rated at 300watts at 4ohm. My sucky KMD cab is a 8 ohm heap. So I figure I'm getting about 125 to 150 watts. With another 8ohm cab, I know I'll get the full 300 watts. SO! at 2.67 ohm (if I do the 2x10 + 15" Carvin cabs), how much power do you think I'll be getting?

r

10. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Workingman 300:175 watts at 8 ohms, 280 at 4 ohms,
    340 at 2.67. My old Sunn has been gone through and puts out 150 watts. Side by side the Sunn is every bit as loud as the SWR. I definately don't want to start another tube watts vs trasistor arguement, this is just my experience. BTW the SWR is my backup amp. I have read that ohms are much more critical for tube amps. I have seen a lot of newer amps that run 2 ohms no problem. Again, I highly recommend you get in touch with Carvin and find out minimum ohms for your amp.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    At 4 ohms you'll get 300w. At 2.67 ohms you'll get lots of smoke and a hefty repair bill.

Never run a solid state amp with a load lower than the minimum ohms stated on the back of the amp. You can get away with it with tubes, but not wit SS.

Also daisy chaining the cabs produces the same nominal impedance as plugging one speaker into each output. 2 cabs of 8 ohms each will give a 4 ohm load either way.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well Buddy, I think you've got the right idea. I just don't want to risk blowing my amp. And from what I've read so for, I think I like this Avatar stuff. I think I might try that 2x10 cab and just get the 8ohm version. Its not that expensive and I'll see how I do with it. If its happening THEN I'll get the 15" cab as well. I still could go Carvin or Peavey because their 15" cabs are rated 8ohm anyway. I find I'm leaning in favor of the Avator 15" cab though because I think (if I read right, I was in a hurry) that their 15" cabs include a tweeter (my guess 5"). This edges out the Carvin which doesn't have a tweeter in their 15" cabs as far as I know.

Well, I've got some reserch to do. But I have to thank you all (especially Gabu) for the input. What ever I do, I'm not mismatching cab impedence unless somebody flat out gives me some cabs for free (don't I wish!).

Thanks guys! This site is awesome!

Ron

13. i run a swr 750x with an ampeg 1 15" and a workingmans(swr) 2 x 10" cab, both 8 ohm cabs, however i run my cables the amp sees a 4 ohm load. 3 8 ohm cabs would be 2.6 ohms, four 8 ohm cabs would be 2 ohms, never, repeat never run a ss head below the listed impedence, a tube head can handle it but not a solid state, also most all speaker cab companies sell 8 ohm 2 x 10" cabs with some offering bothe 8 and 4...there are a few posts here saying a ss head can handle lower ohmage then rated, but they have it backwards dude..tube heads can do it because of the nature of the beast, ss heads are prone to fry if you do, you could also damage your voice coils so beware !!!!!

14. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Oops, thanks for the correction guys.