Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

matchless thunderchief amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Sep 4, 2000.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    hiya,
    is there anyone on here with any experience/info/love/hate of this matchless amp? once again, i'm in the dark about this amp. the web is pretty barren of info on it,the company's gone, so no website, etc. which leaves me with little to learn from.anything would be a help.
    thanks!

2. Bump for this topic that's completely dusted in... :)

I stumbled upon a review about a Matchless amp somewhere on the web, it reminds me of them HIWATT amplifiers; simple yet powerful and effective.

Perhaps, NOW, there might be someone with info on these amps? (this thread is 3 (!) years old.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    as far as i know matchless is out of business.
    I tried their guitar amps and some effects pedal. They where incredible!

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm pretty sure Bass Player mag did a review of one of the Matchless bass amps in the last year or two.

5. Stu 7460

Stu 7460

Jun 20, 2003
    Sara Lee (now with The B-52's) has one that I checked out.It was Righteous!
    Randy

6. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I played one once in Nashville and it sounded pretty good. I didn't have time to go through it and it was years ago, so that's probably the best description I can give you.

Factually, it was supposed to be a takeoff/upgrade on the classic Ampeg 50 watt tube amp (it's late and the name of it ran from my memory). I'm pretty sure the Matchless was either 50 watts or 100 watts and had a similar, but a little more of a high end sound.

If you can't find one or info on one, you could probably get away with getting the old Ampeg or the newer model they made a few years ago which was 100 watts and had a more versatile EQ section.

And yes, Bass Player did a review on the Matchless Thunderchief around 1995 or 96.

7. Alonzo Bevan (formerly of Kula Shaker, now with Johnny Marr and the Healers) uses these heads with Matchless 8-10 cabs, and his tone is simply amazing.

8. er...

Matchless has been reincarnated, so yes, they are in business but they don't seem to care about Matchless amps created during previous incarnations of the company.

the Thunderchief is supposed to be a sort of Portaflexy sound, except it's 200 watts and has 4 KT88's

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like Bike said, they are back in business, but i heard they're revamping much of their line, due to alot of the patents being under former founder, Mark Sampson's, name who recently started up SMF amps. thus, we might see a "Thunderchief" like amp from Mark instead.

but on Neil Finn's "7 Worlds Collide", sebastian steinberg was using one in conjuction with a GK head of some sort, and the tone was pretty nice in the mix.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Also Mark Sampson is still in the businnes : www.staramplifiers.com

I would love to try a Thunderchief. Guess if schematics are available. Or if some company will bring this amp on the market...

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto