Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

material for filling fret slots?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Big_d, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    im taking the frets outta of my cheap p-bass copy and turning it into a fretless, what would be a good material for filling fret slots after the frets are removed? preferablly somthing light so the lines are still there.

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Maple veneer. Never, and I repeat, NEVER use wood filler. It doesn't support it well enough. Epoxy MIGHT work - Jaco Pastorius used epoxy on his bass, and it worked for him - but I'd stick with veneer for stability reasons. And fortunately, maple veneer and wood glue are cheap these days, so I wouldn't be too worried. I'm actually doing the same thing to my friend's P-copy (well, the frets were removed when he bought it, and I'm going to fill the slots this weekend).

3. I've used cyano-acrylate (superglue). Result=great, messy to work with though. Don't forget to tape the sides.

Cheers Rody

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    +1

I tried the wood filler thing once, in the ineptitude of my younger days, and let's just say it didn't work out. I'm no kind of luthier; I just got a scolding from one for doing something that ineffectual.

The various lined fretlesses I've owned have mostly had plastic strips in them, just because that's what the makers preferred, but my favorite look is actually maple or some other moderately contrasting but not blindingly white wood. I had one fretless with maple lines on an ebony board, and that was perfect for me, especially when, after a lot of playing, the lightness of the maple was slightly lessened by finger oil and whatnot. The look became more subtle, but I still had all the contrast I needed to see the lines when I wanted to. YMMV.

5. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    thanks for the advice guys