material for learning bass clef notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I've been listening to classic rock since the 80's and have sort of burnt out on it. I've also had a few lessons recently, but I've had to suspend that because I just don't have enough time to practice properly or regularly between my work schedule and all the projects I have going on. One of the things my instructor was going to have me do was to write out one of the songs my band was playing. I think that's a great idea, but I'd like to get a few suggestions from him and from you guys about some more and different songs to try out.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    The bass shouldn't be buried so deep in the mix that it's really hard to pick out.
    The bass should be interesting and tasteful without being virtuoso level difficulty.
    The song should be anything other than classic rock.
    I don't really care for rap, country or "new country", but I do want to explore. If there are some gems to be found there then that's cool too.
  2. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    I have recently started on a Motown kick.

Many of the songs have almost exactly the same chord progressions and the bass and drums seem to be able to produce several hundred simple (to more complex) variations on these progressions, tastefully.

However, some of these songs would probably fall under the classic rock category.
  3. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Thanks jadesmar,

I've been listening to a bit of motown lately too and would have to say it's very groovy stuff!

My bass instructor suggested about 18 bands/people to check out as well.

That's a whole ton of stuff to sort through! I was really hoping to find some specific song titles to check out that fit what I'm looking for and might happen to be someones personal favorites from a bass players perspective.

Any song titles come to mind?
  4. Hey man, you should dig Fire by Ohio Players, simple bass, but it's really flamin'.

Good Times by Chic is a great, yet simple bass line.

Erotamania by Dream Theater is IMO pretty simple (until the crazy ending) but the main riff is simple, and sounds great.