Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

material gathering phase.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by instigata, Mar 13, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'm going to start looking around for the materials i will need for the bass i plan to build

here's my part list so far:

-warmoth or usacg parts neck
    -swamp ash body blank (perhaps from a luthier, so its nice and selected by hand, not machine?)
    -hipshot a style bridge in black
    -hipshot ultralite tuners in black
    -pots (1 volume, 1 tone)
    -rotary switch(5 way)
    -2 soapbars (Bartolini? maybe the bcs?)
    -satin neck finish
    -i want to attempt a transparent gloss finish. i have a teacher who is into woddworking who will help me, so i jus need materials (various pants/gloss)
    -bone nut
    -strings.. duhh..

i will be using my school's wood shop and the help of my teacher. obviously, i'm just getting the materials together for now. the body hasn;'t even begun to get itself to paper. and after a prelim sketch i plan on using CAD (autodesk inventor) to get a perfect template of all integral aspects.

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Sounds nice, but why not make your own neck? If you've got the shop available and a teacher to help with pointers, I'd say go for it!

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    the neck ust seems incredibly difficult. i guess i could look into it.

4. if you can go for the neck making, i would say go for it.. then, if you ever want to make a striped neck/striped body combonation you will know how to do so, or at least have an idea...

I would take on a neck, but it just seems so hard... i need to take on a body first... you may feel the same way, but if making the body comes easy, id say go for the neck...

you could get a flamed maple top for your ash body if you want... or something like that... it would be really cool, but you can do what you want

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    At least start with a piece of wood of the right size and get your cutting, carving, and scarf-joint-making chops down. It's not as tough as you may think. Just make sure to start with a design template, perfect that, and follow it religiously.

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    if tribal3140 hasn't contacted you yet, i suggest you talk to him about that body blank. it seems like he can get you a pretty nice piece of wood for a decent price.

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Definately try out the neck building. While it is somewhat frightening, once you begin it will feel like you have been doing it for years, and it will seem natural. Keeping the curve consistent (my main fear) was not at all as difficult as I has imagined, even with wenge. And, to be honest, it has been my favorite part of the build.

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i've readthings about varios angles on the connection between the body and the neck of a bolt on. i was under the assumption that this connection should be flat, parallel to the body. is that not true?

also, HOW do you make wood control cavity covers. i just don't get it. how is the wood extruded while not breaking through the piece of wood on another surface? i may just do plastic, because that seems a bit easier anyway.

i'll definitely consider doing the neck. it will take more work, and the fretting will be very onerous. then again, for now maybe just buy a neck, and later build my own. nothing wrong with that. i'm only 17, plenty of years for experimentation, i'd say. plus i only have the end of the school year to work before summer, since im working in the school. otherwise i have to wait for next september. so i want to have the body ready for hands shaping/sanding by then so i have something to do. having the neck prefab seems best for my current position.

9. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    There are various points of view on how the neck should be angled in relation to the body on a neck-through. To get the preferred low string height, angling the neck, using a thick fingerboard, or insetting the bridge are really the only options. Most take the neck angle route. I took the thick fingerboard route (3/8" thick). It's just preference.

Any time you see a continuous cavity plate, the instrument will have a thin back laminate rather than being solid-body. A small hole is drilled on the line, and a scroll saw is used to cut the cover from the piece. At least that's what I've been able to figure out. There may be other ways of doing it.

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    Does this apply to a bolt-on? From what it looks like, my Ibanez and every bolt on i've seen has a parallel neck.

also, i'm starting the drawings/templates today. so i'll be sure to post as soon as i have some decent pics.

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    That was one point I forgot. With bolt-ons the neck is usually stepped above the body. This is basically the same principle as having a thick fingerboard, and it can be done on a neckthrough with a bit of care.

12. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i've given it thought, and i think i'm going to go all out. neck, body, everything. one step further. i think i'm going to get a top too.

so now i need to decide on woods.

i think flame maple on top of mahogany, oil finish.

the neck, we'll see. maple stringers with wenge? maple with ebony stringers? i'll look around. see what i can buy.

hardware, an ets bridge is looking good. and hipshot tuners. tomorrow ill play with the cad program a bit. ill need that done first. and a nice piece of plywood for a template. and a piece for the neck template.

13. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Maple on mahogany! DOOOO ITTTTT!!! :hyper: