Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Material need for Series/Parallel bass guitar mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thursday, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    What are some of the basic material need to do a Series/Parallel mod on a P bass?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    DPDT switch.
    Solder
    Soldering Iron.

I think thats about it...I want to do this, except the switch is like 15 bucks after shipping and well, I'm not much for payin that much when thats 10% the cost of my bass.

3. ^^You can get a switch in every store that has something to do with electronics for one dollar or something like that. And it is a really nice mod to do when you're searching for a fatter tone (or a thinner with your Pbass).

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmmm.... is this a trick question?

Your garden-variety P-bass has a single (split) pickup and only one volume pot.... so there's no way it could be "parallel"........
    :eyebrow:

5. The pickup itself has two coils, and is by default wired in series. You'll first need to cut the wire joining the two coils and extend both ends.

6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I guess my style of thinking on this one is a bit off - I'm in the habit of thinking of a P as a single pickup. Yep, you could put the two halves of the split pickup in parallel, and that would turn it into a couple of single coils (assuming the halves aren't individually humbucking already, as some are).

Seems that you would just need the usual DPDT push/pull pot, and some extra wire. I can't help but wonder, though, if this mod wouldn't be better served by adding a second vol pot (or a stacked vol/vol), for use in the "parallel" mode once it's split into two hot leads....

7. Not really, because you'll rarely want each side at a different volume. I was thinking about it earlier and possibly could be cool would be seperate tone knobs for each coil, giving you different roll-off characteristics for different strings.

8. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I agree that you wouldn't want a large volume difference, although the flexibility to tweak might be useful. Separate tone pots would be another interesting idea.

Would like to hear "field reports" from folks who have tried this......

9. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    What I meant to say was how much all the extra parts are going to cost me. and how much wire, gauge and what type of pots, pans, etc I'll need.

10. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    As for the pot w/DPDT switch, this one will do fine (probably the 250K version, if you're using it for a tone pot):

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...meters_and_push-pull_pots/3/Control_Pots.html

You could use a cheaper DPDT switch, but you'd have to drill a new hole for it. By using one of these, no need to drill.

As for wire, you probably only need a couple of feet of regular guitar wire. Or, depending on the quality of the pots/jack/wiring that came with the bass, you can get a complete P-bass wiring kit for about 15 bucks, and just use the push-pull pot in place of one of the pots that comes with the kit.

If you're going that far, a little shielding paint or shielding tape to minimize hum wouldn't be a bad idea either - same site.

11. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Thanks for everything now all I need is the instructions on how to wire this thing in Series/Parallel. (Get it right the first time)

12. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
  13. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You could use either; the only problem with ON/OFF/ON is, if you bump it into the center position, your bass will go silent.

Don't worry about the amp rating; it means how much current the switch can handle, but this is low-power, low-current stuff.