1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Materials for cabnet project needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ritebrain, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Hello. I am new to cabnet building and am coming at it from the angle of reduce reuse and recycle. Any suggestions on where to find parts to be used for my hemp cab? Yes, hemp. I am using the broun sound 8 ohm 10" drivers and looking for a tweeter to match. Have the boards as well, but still need covering, grate, corners, and all else. This thing may get many laughs but it will sound kick ass. Thanks

2. I am using the ceramic 10" tone tubby bass cones. The project came to me one day. I had heard about hemp fiberboard and while I had trouble getting it in the states I eventually had some imported from china and thus the project began. I am definetely going for the the environmentally friendly points. That is the whole purpose. Alternative building being a growing industry, I am looking to inspire the music community to seek alternatives to "old growth." While I have no expertise in the area of amp building, upon looking at the fiberboard, which is more like particleboard, I believe that it will make for a fine resonant box. My queries as to sealed or ported, bullet co-axal vs. bullet tweeter, as well as the balance thereof will make or break the whole project, I feel. As far as the salvage yard, I was thinking it would be sorta cool to have a volvo grate, for laughs, but was also thinking used screen door or possibly some taught hemp.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hemp fiberboard, hemp grille...I guess your future follow-up thread titled "Man, I smoked my cab!" will have an altered meaning!:D

The cabinet should be designed around the loudspeakers...you can use a program like WinISD to model sealed and ported boxes. I don't know of the speakers so you might not even need a tweeter.

Hardware bits are available at www.partsexpress.com.

Make sure you install an input jack rather than having bare leads hanging out that you connect to with alligator clips;)

Good luck!!!

4. An organic cab...
    I'd go with a stretched hemp grille, that would be cooler than a car grille and it will look alot sharper.
    As far as the fibreboard, make sure you treat it with some beeswax or similar sealer to prevent moisture retention before you cover the box. It's going to be similar to MDF board, but likely much less dense, and hopefully alot lighter.
    C7