1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Math assignment... Polyrhythms

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My math class is stupid. We all have to give a presentation on applying math to real life. So, it's been presentations about the metric system, doing taxes, how likely an answer will come up on a magic 8 ball, and I've chose polyrhythms.

I have to talk for 4-5 minutes, that general area. Plus, I can play audio examples. Other than using time signatures as "fractions"... what should I talk about?

Also, what are some really simple/popular examples of polyrhythms that I could play for a class? Something somewhat repetative perhaps?

2. Led Zeppelin- "Kashmir" is always good for that sort of thing.

3. ;)

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    talk about funk, or some sort of african drumming.

OR you could scrap polyrhythms and do it on something about pitches of notes and wavelengths, that might be more physics though

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I don't know what polyrhythms are, but they sound like a complicated time signature or something. Maybe some rush?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But I was wondering about some clear cut examples, where I could play a Rush song and count the different parts...

Luckily, I am in world music right now, so there will be a bit about African drumming.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I thought polyrhythms were two different time sigs played at the same time.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    All I have to say is play "Thela Hun Ginjeet" by King Crimson.

9. Part of what gives life to polyrhythms in my opinion, is not necessarily starting out both rhythms at the same time. In other words, try starting the other rhythm a quarter or eighth note later. Just a little tip.

Sounds like a really good topic for a presentation!! Have fun with it, I wish I could do a presentation on that. :)

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You could try this:

http://www.benjaminstrange.net/music/UB313.mp3

It's still in major early demo format/sound quality, but it's a fairly easy to illustrate use of polyrhythms. The guitar parts are in 4/4 and 5/4 respectively, using simple repeating patterns. I could break it down for you isolating each guitar part if you like.

11. Very hip! The guitars are pretty separated in the panning, so if you just solo the left or right channel it's easier to see what you're doing polyrhythm-wise.

Great tune!

13. Thrak by KC is a good and clear example.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the help everyone