Math help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Dec 13, 2004.

1. How do you graph y=ln x-4 ??? Someone help please.

Edit: And y=2/1+2e^x

2. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    well if you have a Ti-83 or ny type of graphing calculator then just hit the [y=] button and plug it in then press graph.

If not then it's just the log graph shifted to the right 4 units.

I hope this helps :)

EDIT: I don't know how to do the second one. I just took my math final today and the log section I was horrible at (I hate logs). But I'm sure you have to solve the equation with logs and then its some wierd transformation stuff with the log graph.
  3. Thanks. our teacher doesn't know what he's doing and spends most of class trying to figure out what he's doing himself. So yea, we have no idea what we are doing and we have HW and a test tomorrow :) Wooppee!!
  4. Bottom one = log-transform both sides, then plot on a log-log scale.

log(y) = log(2) - log(1+2e^x)

perhaps... ;)
  5. Oh my god i hate math ! I don't know what you guys are learning but it looks scary :ninja:
    Well , today was the last day of school for me until January :hyper:
    Most teachers don't know what the hell they're doing...
    Good luck Tyler !
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe that's how it is in Luxembourg but the large majority of my teachers in America were very good at what they did. I had a couple of stinkers but that's going to occur anywhere.

brad cook
  7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I bombed the log / natural log section of my pre-calc, calculus & discrete tests. I'd think I finally sunk it into my head, then BOOM, it would all fly out of my head the second I sat down to the test.
  8. Yeah , you're right . I didn't want to attack you personally or teachers in general but i'm just P***** off by some teachers who think that they're gods. The majority is doing a good job . Believe me i had some great teachers . I used to be pretty rebellious when i was in 7th and 8th grade. Nowadays i can't understand why i behaved like that . (puberty i guess...)
    My sister want's to be a teacher in elementary school.She's working her a** off. I know that it's a tough job. Especially with today's kids.
    By the way , are you teaching in high school or elementary school ?
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    High school.

brad cook
  10. What grades and subjects ?
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm actually not a teacher in the traditional sense. I run a specialized learning program called Bridges Learning. It's based on theory called Structure of Intellect and the goal is to improve students' cognitive ability by improving focus, concentration, memory, etc... Basically my lab is like a gym for the brain. After students complete our program they often find that they read quicker while absorbing more info and they just generally find it easier to learn in all classes. The US Air Force uses some similar concepts and exercises to improve the same abilities in their pilots.

brad cook
  12. Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    I suggest plotting a couple of points and seeing what the general curve looks like if you haven't got a clue.

The thing to look out for is asymptotes, which only really occur if you have something like 1/(x+3) in there, or if you have a graph which at points, tends to a value (like 1/(1+1/x), which tends to 1 when x tends to infinity). I don't know if this comes up in your course though, but it's what I'm going to have in my further maths exams this year (though not such simple examples, fun!).

P.S. I'd go for obvious points on the second one, like (0,2/3), and use the fact that as x tends to infinity, y tends to 0... (and as X tends to -ve infinity y tends to 2)
  13. Wow ! I'm impressed :) So kids who have problems in school can participate in your learning program for free ?
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah. We are currently funded by a federal grant.

brad cook
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had my test on that chapter last week. Got a 95%. WOot.
  16. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    That was 4 calcs ago for me....o_O and I can't remember how to do it. Meh, oh well, just an engineer :p.

17. Hint, you won't need to know how to graph those equations out if you're caught in the woods facing down a bear.

And I'm an engineer also, and just about busted out a piece of paper. Apparentally I'm trained to respond to math problems. And write in only block capitals. I'm the pimpest.
  18. But I will if I'm caugh in the classroom facing down a test. I think I started understanding it all today. It just clicked all of a sudden. So hopefully I don't bomb the individual test tomorrow (was a group test yesterday).
  19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Only thing you need to know:

Mike Money+ Dirty Dick's Ale = (square root of)awsome^15
  20. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    0.27567? :confused: