1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

math riddle from my friend hurting my brain

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DuffMac87, Oct 19, 2009.

1. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    Wow i feel dumb my friend emailed me this anf i tried to figure it out and got hella mad anf stopped i dont think there is a answer i think he is messing with me because he knows stuff like this keeps me up:(

You buy a house including the land it sits on for $ 141000. The real estate agent tells you that the land costs $ 24000 more than then that shack of a house you just bought, The price of the dump you call a house is

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    $58500 is the price of the house.

and $82500 is the price of the land.

3. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    Hot damn...........that was good and in record time i gave up on it , i feel dumb lol. I emailed him and said it was not possible 15 minutes ago, he is going to call me a dumbass from now on :)

4. Darkstrike beat me to it. I figured it out in my head in about 4 seconds.

2x + 24,000 = 141, 000

5. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    woooooo i am not feeling that smart its so obvious when i see the numbers, going back to school is going to be rough lol

6. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Here is the logic and the solution:

1. Using the problem statement, generate 2 equations...

Eq1: Cost (House) + Cost (Land) = $141,000
    Eq2: Cost (Land) = $24,000 + Cost (House)

2. Combine the 2 equations (Subtract Eq2 from Eq1) so you can solve for Cost (House)...

Cost (House) + Cost (Land) - Cost (Land) = $141,000 - $24,000 - Cost (House)

Which simplifies to...

Cost (House) = 141,000 - $24,000 - Cost (House)

and further to...

2 * Cost (House) = $117,000

and finally to...

Cost (House) = $58,500

3. Once we know the Cost (House) we can use Eq2 to solve for Cost (Land)

Cost (Land) = $24,000 + $58,500 = $82,500

4. Always double check to results using your results in the original equations

Eq1: Cost (House) + Cost (Land) = $141,000

$58,500 + $82,500 = $141,000 which checks out.

$82,500 = $24,000 + $58,000 which also checks out.

7. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    That makes it so easy to understand, i was just dividing by 2.I got to the step 2 part and then realized i have not done any math in years.

That settles it ,less partying and time to enroll in some math courses. I knew i was bad at math but not this bad haha.

This is what happens when someone majors in criminal justice.

8. simply (141,000-24,000)/2

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    how's algebra 2 going for ya, gangsta?

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Allow me to translate: This is question #4 on my Algebra homework......

:D

-Mike

11. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    haha no, but i enroll back into school next term i dropped out of college after a year.......maybe when i am back in college i can post a thread and you guys can do my math home work?:p

or maybe you guys can go to my math class for me and use my name .......sounds good see you winter term:hyper:

12. I really hope that wouldn't be Algebra II. That is something that should be left behind in the first week or two of Algebra I. My Math I class (basic intro to all math) was past this in the first three weeks and I think the class is moving slow.

lowsound

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Fine, fine....fine! I fixed it you hoser. :D

-Mike

14. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    As a bassist, not being able to do math is really gonna hurt you.

15. not to be rude, but this is kinda a Jr high sch qn. Ratios anyone?

16. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Honestly one look at it and I don't care to figure it out, can't stand tupid stuff like, the real answer is tell the realestate agent To tell you the cost.. Paying damn good money for a shack to be for Ed to do math? Screw that.

Wow actually I took a second look at it and this is way too easy to post a thread about.

17. I just used this same logic last night to figure out a geometry problem. I have no idea if I was supposed to solve it like that, but it worked and I got the correct answer. Probably should have used trig or something, but this was easier.

lowsound

18. conversely,the land value with the building demolished and graded is worth that much more to a developer who has to pay crews,pull permits,etc.....