Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Math task for cab stackers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jani_bjorklund, Oct 26, 2002.

1. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    OK. I have a 8 ohm 15" cab. I also have two 10" (8 ohm) beyma speaker elements, a passive 2-way crossover (4000 Hz) and a 8 ohm tweeter lying around. Here is the quest. Can I use the two 8 ohm 10" and the tweeter to build a 2x10" cab wit a tweeter or am I in deep **** impedace wise? By my maths I would end up with one 15" 8 ohm cab and a second cab with a 16 ohm pair of 10" with a 8 ohm tweeter. What will actually happen here?

2. If you wire the 10" in series and get 16 ohms your X-over is padded for 8 ohms on the low end and the high end as well. The x-over will probably throw more high end current to the tweater than you want and the x-over point of 4k will probably change (although I don't know how but someone will probably quote you a formula explaining this whole thing) because of the different ohms. I once added a Carvin Red Head tweater to a cab . The tweater was a piazo (sp?) type and didn't a x-over. It came with a nice L-Pad and mounted into the cab real nice. Worked really well.

3. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I forgot to tell I do have two identical crossovers and also two identical horns as well. So I could throw in the second tweeter in series and end up with 2x10" (16 ohms) + 2xtweeter (16 ohms) and a 4000 hz crossover (8 ohms). I guess it would be good to also throw in a pad for the tweter(s). Of course there's also the option to just use one set (1x10" + horn), but would I achive anything with just one 10"?

4. You absolutely MUST use a crossover at its rated impedances. If it says "low 4 ohms" and "high 8 ohms", you MUST hook it up to those impedances. If you don't, the crossover freq will be WAY off. Even worse, you'll end up with different freqs for high and low.