Mathematical research on why tubes sound better!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oyvind2305, Aug 12, 2005.

1. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
  2. ill read that when im more concious

but i think its to do with how they reproduce more of the harmonic overtones, have better clean area's inbetween notes

aswell as tubes overdrive slightly, adding what is known as tube warmth

i take thats what its getting put about in that pdf?
  3. joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    Yeah, it talks about that, only slightly(read:100x) more detailed.
  4. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Tubes don't sound better. Haven't you heard a Glockenklang? :D
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I was hoping for something a little more scientific...
  6. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Mee too... :(
    Math does not = scientific. For example, he didn't test against a solid state amplifier. And he wrote "The emitted sound was nothing short of superb!" Yes, scientific indeed.
  7. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Well remember that the paper was not a comparative study.
    ELECTRIC GUITAR SOUND". I dont think it was the authors intention to do anything else than describe the effects.
    Obviously a guitarist studying math or physics.
  8. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    The paper was a study of why tube amplifiers sound the way they do. Inherently there will be some subjectivity. This is made clear in the paper's introduction/abstract.

It is a simple, definitely non-exhaustive experiment, and on my glance tonight, this isn't a great paper - looks undergrad level, but an interesting topic to research!

Math usually does help science significantly IF it is properly applied. Science is a term that has been so ruthlessly applied to anything, be it truly scientific or otherwise, that is is now lacking much meaning. This is equally true for Engineering. What you say is pretty true for most modern studies - rarely have I seen clear, concise research expressed as such in a paper.

That's a bit of a hijack though. The paper is an interesting read, although the blown up graphs should have been shown.
  9. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Yah, I guess you've got a good point; maybe I was a little hasty in criticizing it. :) But on the other hand, I've never read a paper that has such types of personal opinions (with an exclamation mark, no less).
    Like saying, "We used this new spectrometer, and the analysis coming out of that machine was nothing short of superb!" in a paper. Strange. :)
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Math is the language of science. Its use, however, doesn't guarantee proper application of the scientific method.