1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mathias Neuner german bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Frank Larouche, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Hello everyone,

This bass appear today in the kijiji ads in my town and from the pics I'm not sure what it is, in the description he say it's the original label by Mathias Neuner, but it's roundback and from what I've checked so far bass from this maker tend to be flatback but I may be mistaken. I look like a german shop bass too I think. anyway what can you tell from the pics and do you think it's worth 12 k. I will try it of course in the future!

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter...musique-cordes-Contrebasse-W0QQAdIdZ235629920

Thanks

Francis

2. Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Thomas Andres- Bass Makers

Dec 7, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    It looks like the real deal. 12 K isn't too much for a good 19th-century bass.

3. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
  4. I bought a Nuener/Hornsteiner out of a folky type music store here in Denver a few years back. Some idiot painted it brown and carved the words: " I (heart) Jesus" on the back. Jesus!
    I had my luthier, Bob Ross, strip it, re-color and French polish it. It came out splendid. It was a Busseto pattern. I sold it to a fine classical bassist here and it was a really fine sounding bass on the small side. This varnish looks similar to the original on mine that I researched of the original. Kind of reddish, like this one. Coincidentally, a neighbor of mine had a gamba pattern one that looked very similar to this one. If I could see a side scroll shot I might be more on the mark.
    IMO, if it sounds good and doesn't need any work, I'd jump on it but be sure to have a bass luthier take a look first.

5. Thanks everyone!

Your comments are very appreciated! I will try it tonight or tomorrow so I will check back with you! Sometimes it can be tough to judge with pictures alone. In the end, my ear (and a trip to a luthier!) will be the ultimate judge!

I will try to take a pic of the side scroll for you Mr. Paul!

Francis

6. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    There are some unconventional looking cracks for sure.

7. Jason, are you talking about the one in the back that seem to go kind of diagonally?

Francis

8. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    yeah...is that the direction of the grain?

9. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Your luthier Doesn't happen to also love Happy Little Trees does he?

10. Wow. How clever and original of you. Bet he never heard that before.

11. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    what can I say? I look a lot like Bob Ross (have gone as him for halloween)!

12. We learn something new everyday on talkbass!! I had to check Bob Ross on wikipedia!!

13. Whatta drag for you. (in either case). :bag:

14. I tried this bass this afternoon, my firts impression are very very positive!! The bass sound so good even if it's been 15 years or so since nobody plays it. The strings were too high to play easily but the sound was fantastic. I played maybe a dozen of bass since I start to search and this is the best one of them all easily! Pizz the sound is really big and full of volume, even in all the register and with the bow it is something to say the least. The arco tone is the best one I have ever had. The bass is in good shape, the weird cracks are only scratches in the finish.

The tuner are very nice they are french style like the Vuillaume school and the jacquet-gand on Ken Smith site.

The finish is not that shiny in person, the pictures were misleading. The owner had the bass appreased and repaired for 4k in 2003 from a very good luthier in montreal so it seem a real bargain at that price.

Did I mention it sound fantastic!!

Do you think it not reasonnable for someone to take a loan for a instrument knowing that I'm a student for now but that i finish my degree in december?

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but if it is regarding taking out a loan in order to purchase the bass, if you can make the payments, why not? I did it to buy my first good bass way back when...

From your description, the bass sounds really nice. You really do know the bass you like when you finally find it, after trying many.

16. Thanks for the reply eric!

I know what you mean by finding the one, I tried many basses in the 5-10k range and there was good basses but none that spoke to me right away!

Francis

17. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Remember, it's a buyers market right now. Make an offer that doesn't totally break your bank and see if the seller will take it. I think it looks like a nice bass....

18. Thanks jason,

That is exactly what I will do. Since I tried it I dream about the big and rich sound that It produces!! Il will hope that the bass doesnt sell in the first week and I will offer him somewhat less than the asking price!! I cross my fingers!

Francis

19. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Good luck! ;)