Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mathias Thoma

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Ok, I think I got the spelling right. I have a lead on a 3/4 laminated Mathias Thoma bass. It was from a school system and survived 30+ years.

Does anyone know the history of these, where they were make, how are they considered?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Didn't we just go through this a few days ago?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207874&highlight=Mathias

3. bIaLsAsN

bIaLsAsN

Nov 3, 2011
    Hello. I myself own one. These basses were used by the NYC school system and happened to be pretty decent. However when the schools cut musics, the instruments were either sold or thrown out. Mine is from Susan Wagner High School in Staten Island.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  5. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    They are generic Romanian basses and the name is affixed by the US distributor. There are several grades. Most of them seem OK. Sam Ash sells, or has sold them through its stores.

A friend of mine owns one - one of the "thin body" versions with shallow rib depth. He plays it through an amp so it sounds just OK but I have never been very impressed with it. Also, like many Romanian basses, it is far heavier than it should be, in my opinion.

I don't know which one of the Rhegin factories makes these. Maybe MIKMAN can chime in on this.