Matisyahu's bassist...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Feb 6, 2006.

1. What do you guys think of him (for those of you who have the album)?

I believe he uses one of the older 1 pickup G&L's (SB 1?), I noticed from a video of one of the songs. Really good, solid Reggae bass playing. Anyone know his set up or even seen them perform live? The cd seems to have been recorded live. either, its a good cd.
  2. I bought the studio album when I saw them perform on my campus last year. What I have heard of their live CD is much better, though. It's been a while, but I am pretty sure that their bassist was using an American Jazz Bass (black, maple board) through an SVT. His solo tone was a little mid-shy, but it was very appropriate in the mix with the rest of the band. Good playing, great band!
  3. Yea, the one I'm listening to now is the "Live at Stubb's" cd. The cd is very rocking though. As I write this I'm listening to him beat box on... "Beat Box".
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Matisyahu is relaly cool, sad that he got into the whole mtv thing though but i guess tahts how you sell records.
  5. True, but I'd say he's one of the few on MTV that are actually good.
  6. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Yea I saw him when the Live At Stubbs album was recorded. Excellent band. I'll be seeing him when he comes back in March.

I am pretty sure the bassist played a Fender J.
  7. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I saw him on late night TV, probably Letterman. I thought it was an G&L L1000. Bass sounded real good.
  8. matisyahu is frikin crazy, i love it, he talks so fast it makes my head explode. really fast reggae, i love reggae. i never thought mtv would actually put something of decent quality on their...but i guess its possible. i always thought the bassist used a musicman cause of the humbucker, but now that i think about it the headstock is different from MM's. so...i guess it'd be a G&L i couldnt even see it well at all in the video. matisyahu amish or something? :meh:
  9. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Matisyahu is jewish. He has quite a few songs that talk about that but he talks so f'in fast you can't really tell what he is saying. Yea I guess it is a G&L. After hearing how sweet they sound, I just might have to invest in a G&L.
  10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I have nothing but praise for Matisyahu and his band.:bassist:
  11. I saw them live before they got big The bass player (VERY nice guy. I chatted with him a bit) plays an older blue G&L (I'm 90% sure its a G&L) with a maple neck. That night he was running through a SWR 4x10 with Ampeg head. But, that night, the cabinet bit the dust. Now, I believe he plays an Ashdown head and 8x10. He took lessons from Richard Davis in Wisconsin (big name with double bass).

The guy that was playing the Fender Jazz was, I believe, the bass player for the old band.
  12. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Yeah. I really like Matisyahu too. He's got some really great songs. He actually has a new CD coming out in the begining of March called "Youth".
  13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Matisyahu is TIGHT. There bass player is the kind of bass that I can listen to all day long. Really tight and dubby. You guys should check out Shortbus, Pepper, Slightly Stoopid and Bargain Music for some good bass too!
  14. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bumping this thread as I just recently heard the Live At Stubb's album. What a great album. Excellent bass tone and feel from Josh Werner.

If you are a reggae fan and haven't heard is really worth checking out.
  15. There was a an interview with Josh Werner in Bass Player a while back - he was playing an Atlier Z and a G&L at that time.

On all the CDs I've heard, the bass playing is SOLID - he also co-wrote most of the songs with Matisyahu.
  16. bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    saw them 2 years ago, either a G&L or a MM.... awesome tone, great player, have both the live and studio album(well one of them, don't know how many he has..) the tone on the live album is more to my liking..
  17. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    from roots tonic? the album they did with bill laswell is cool.
  18. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    For an 80's G&L L1000.........