1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maton JB4 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billbassoz, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Billbassoz

Billbassoz

Jul 15, 2007
    Does anyone else own a Maton JB4 Fretless bass? It's an Australian made bass that has a big rep here in Oz. I heard a rumour that in the 80s some top players like Jaco and Sting bought ones to take back with them after touring Australia but I don't know how true that is. Mine is in a darkish brown with a darker wood neck. It has one humbucker and one single coil pickup and a badass bridge. I used to use roundwound strings on it but they marked the neck duh! I now use nylon wounds which sound and play great. I bought my JB4 in 1984 and have used it ever since. I play in a big band and I use it at rehearsal to keep my skills up. I use a Ricky 4000 and a Dolfin Double Bass at the gigs. (I would include a picture but I'm a Bass Forum newbie and don't know how to do that).

2. They were great basses and the older the better. I lusted over them for years but could not afford one! I also use the nylon wounds on my other fretless & they are great! Which big band are you in, Im in Melbourne & love big band & swing!

Cheers,
    Rusty

3. Billbassoz

Billbassoz

Jul 15, 2007
    Thanks for your response. Its great to communicate with someone who loves big band music who plays fretless bass!
    My big band is called The Lindy Hip Big Band. It's 20 piece 5 saxes, 4 tombones, 5 trumpets, keyboards, guitar, drums male & female vocals and I play electric and double bass. We play most of the traditional BB numbers from Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darren etc. We also have a party set where we do Motown classics and some 80s pop BB arrangements for corporate gigs and parties.
    We have a regular gig at the Lakes Resort in Adelaide once a month on a Sunday afternoon. Its going really well with over 200 coming to the last show. Later this month we are going to play at the Adelaide Town Hall as a fundraiser for the Mary Potter Hospice with tickets at $150! What I love about the band is how much I've learned and grown as a musician/bass player from playing these great tunes with some really talented people. I would recommend the Maton. Its a gorgeous bass to play. What brand is your fretless and what's it like?

4. I had a Maton JB4 Fretless bass for 10 years or so back in the early 80's. Fantastic neck and feel. Sound was good, had some great Mwah happening. I'm a fan of the Badass 1 bridge and 3 out of my 6 basses have one. The reason I sold the JB4 was mostly that I didnt like the Di Marzio pups at that time. They were a bit dirty in a manner that I wasn't keen on. I could have put different pups in I know, but back in the 80's there was less of a selection to choose from.
    I didn't want to go modding what I already knew then would one day be a collectable bass and I had the opportunity to buy a Cargill Custom fretless very cheap, so out went the Maton for Aus$850 (I paid Aus$625 for it)

Cargill Custom Active Fretless

cargill729.

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes) used one as his primary electric bass for quite a few years, if I remember correctly...

6. Interesting to hear of a non Australian/NZ player using one.

Here are a few very old pics of me and mine.

Attached Files:

7. I bought mine in about 1980 and have had it under a bed for teh last 10 years or so. I recently dragged it out and newly appreciate it's qualities. It is sooo easy to play. Here is a photo.

Attached Files: