1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Matrix Amplification Power amps - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gohloum, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Gohloum

Gohloum

May 24, 2009
    Hello,

I've been looking at options for a power amp for my Ampeg SVP preamp. I have heard some guitar players rave about the matrix amps with processors like Axe FX or POD HD, but I haven't seen much about it's use with bass and using a more traditional preamp for the front end. I also have a few Tech 21 units (RPM and RBI) laying around. These might also make a good front end. I would certainly not mind carrying it around in a 2 space rack.

Here is a link to the amp. http://usa.matrixamplification.com/rack-amplifers/gt-1000-fx-1u.html

For cabinets I'm using 2 Eden 4x10XLTs.

Any thoughts or experience would be helpful.

2. Matrix makes over priced stuff for gui****s.

Get yourself a Crest, QSC, or Crown of appropriate specs for a lot less money.

DWBass likes this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Why would a guitarist need that much wattage? How frikkin' loud does one need to be? But yeah, way better options for way less money. I like the 1U footprint though.

4. Gohloum

Gohloum

May 24, 2009
    Well, I don't recall all the details of my research, but the idea with solid state power is you need more to equal similar spl with tube power, around 4:1 I think. Especially when dealing with digital systems that have parameters for adjusting bias, sag, and other tube like emulations that eat up the headroom. The story goes that Matrix - being sound reinforcement amp company stumbled on an amp design for higher frequencies that actually respond very well for getting full guitar tones. I haven't heard much about it for bass except for 1 review that raves about it.

Yes, the footprint and weight are my primary objectives outside of sound. The other option I was looking into was the Crown XLS 1502. But I'm a little sketchy about the idea of such a low priced amp. I is anyone using one of these in a loud, live situation?

Are there any other 1U rack amps that put out big power? I am retiring my Eden WT-800. It's a series A and ever since it started having overheating problems, it's been unreliable. Spent big money on it several times having a lot of the components replaced trying to find the problem. I could have bought a nice power amp for the money I have already spent in repairs.

Just need good, reliable power that can handle outside florida gigs. Season is here now and I have corporate and wedding event's every weekend from now to June. These are high dollar gigs and I can't be having technical issues....

5. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I own that power amplifier, paired with my DB680. It sounds great and has tons of headroom. I haven't played with it for longer than a couple of hours but never with any overheating issue. Only feature I dislike is that, when playing in my own at bedroom volume I can hear the fan noise. For the rest it's just a fine power amp, and one of the only 1U ones with such power. And not manufacturered cheaply in Asia (made in the UK) that's probably why they are a bit more expensive.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

What is applicable to guitar amplification most often doesn't translate that well for bass.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021