1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Matsumoku or Peavey Foundation?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluebard, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Yo bass lads,

As anyone who has read or responded to my other threads can see, I am very indecisive when it comes to getting a new bass haha :/ sorry if all my posts seem to be asking for bass comparisons and such, and thanks for bearing with me (the T-40 I was talking about in an earlier thread ended up bidding way over my price range). I think I'm finally narrowing in on my final choice.

So I sold my fretless and have $300 lying around to spend on a new bass. When I get it, I'll have two basses: one MIM jazz bass and one bass whose identity I don't yet know. The idea is that I want to string one with rounds for bright sizzly growly clank (Geddy Lee sound) and funk (slappity stuff) and one with flats for a sweet round mellow tone with fat singing highs (think Paul McCartney, Flaming Lips, Tame Impala bass tones).

So I'm stuck between some old 80s MIJ Matsumoku basses (Aria Pro II, Electra) and some old USA Peavey Foundations with Super Ferrite pups. If I got the Foundation, it would get the rounds (since Ive heard Super Ferrites have more bite than standard jazz pups) and my MIM jazz would get flats, possibly a new neck pup to bring out the fatness.
    If I got an old Matsumoku... well I don't know which would get flats and which would get rounds, since I'm not too familiar with the tones on Matsumoku instruments. Are they better suited for bright roundwoundyness or fat flatwoundyness?

Matsumoku options:
    • $150 Aria Pro II RSB Special (black bass in pic). Has one pickup, and all it says on the headstock is Aria Pro RSB Special Smooth Joint. No specific model number. I'm including picture in case you guys can identify it and tell me if it is any good.
    • Also looking at a $200 Electra Phoenix (silverish bass in pic). Has one split-coil pickup, and I'm thinking it's the X630n, but I really don't know. I'm including a pic of that one too in case you can identify it. Is this an active or passive one?
    • Then there's the Peavey Foundation for $200-$250.
    How do the tones and qualities on these two Matsumokus compare to each other, and to the tone and qualities and build quality of a Foundation? Which Matsumoku bass is better? Of the three, what's the best bass? Of the two basses I'll end up with, which do you think should get flats and which should get rounds?

Feel free to rank the options, in case I lose out on the best option before I can grab it (which has happened to me quit a few times, thanks to my indecisiveness).

Thank ye all for yer kind and wise advice! canvas. s-l1600.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Peavey Foundation all day,I could wax lyrical about these,You can slap and Geddy all day on these.The super ferrites are very good.

PortlandBass77 and Bluebard like this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

What were you hoping to pay for the T-40? What did it go for if you don't mind me asking? I bought one a couple weekends ago that I do intend to sell. Mind you, it weighs a friggin' ton so you'd probably pay a bit to bring it across the border.

Comically enough, I had (passively) hunted one for years and when I did find one it was on the next block over. I literally walked over and picked it up. It was right under my nose the whole time.

Bluebard likes this.
  4. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    My budget is $350 at most, including shipping. I realize that's not very much for a T-40, but for a while, the bid I was looking at was staying pretty low and I thought I might get a real deal on it. But I was pretty concerned about the weight anyways

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You could probably find a local one at that price, if you can find one, but they tend to go for $400+ online these days before shipping. I can only imagine what the shipping cost would be on this pig, I'd honestly be surprised if mine was under 12 pounds. I bet it would cost $100 just to ship.

The tone on it is great but I honestly wouldn't gig the thing at an evening with, it's just too damn heavy. I do also feel the T-40 is another TB over-rated bass although I'm less surprised by the T-40 than the Fury P, which was extremely over-rated in my opinion.

kodiakblair and Bluebard like this.
  6. Foundation all the way. They are much higher quality than the majority of the Matsumako basses I have played. I would still have mine if I hadn't traded it for my T-40.

Bluebard likes this.
  7. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Thanks guys! Went with your advice, bought a Foundation with natural wood look a few hours ago, can't wait to try out those Super Ferrites!

8. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Gave away, My Foundation, with REAL Spector, P/J pickups (I have a friend who worked at Kramer, back in the day. I HAD tons of these). My TSB-650, is a KEEPER... Forever.