1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SOLD Matsumoku Vantage VP-710 B Dual P Bass MIJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 18, 2018.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is a very nice and very well made 1981 Vantage VP-710B bass featuring dual precision pickups. These were built at the legendary Matsumoku factory and represent the high end of the Vantage line of guitars and basses that were made there in the heyday of the early 80s.

Many have referred to these as "the poor man's Alembic" given their classic styling and the way they feature sophisticated electronics paired with beautiful natural wood. Personally, this bass strikes me as a more classically styled version of the coveted BC Rich Eagle from the same period. To each their own!

As with all Matsumoku basses of this era, the quality and aesthetics of this instrument are top shelf. The body sides are a solid Japanese Ash (I believe) with maple center in the hippie sandwich style. The set neck is maple with a rosewood board and the body is nicely figured with a gorgeous satin finish that feels great to the touch. The bass is full scale with OEM high ratio gotoh-style closed tuning gears and a 3-point bridge. A solid bass but not at all a heavy one.

The bass features robust electronics and controls for fans of the precision tone. Two precision style pickups are installed, one in the neck and one in the bridge positions. Each has its own independent volume and tone adjustment allowing for an array of tone combinations. There is also a 3-position pickup selector switch at the upper horn of the instrument for quick on-the-fly tone changes between pickups during performances. This bass is very big in sound. This is strung with Fender flats so it will provide you with thump for many, many days!

The bass is in very good condition overall and is entirely original. There is some very slight and honest wear here and there from the prior owner all of which is photographed. The worst of it is a chip on the upper part of the body edge near the electronics controls. Given the bass is a natural finish, this doesn't look as bad as it would on a painted bass.

I am asking $SOLD shipped or best offer for this bass shipped CONUS in a gig bag. Please add $25 to ship west of the Mississippi. No trades please.

If you have any questions please PM me. Enjoy the pictures below and thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    basspedaler, Matt R, lgrankin and 2 others like this.
  2. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    ever sell ur GV?

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Groovy.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Very nice. Those pickups are the best P pickup I’ve played. I’ve seen them called Dimarzios or Dimarzio type.

My ‘81 PJ Ibanez has one. Very hot output in addition to a great sound. I should try flats on it some time, but I dig them with dead rotosounds.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  5. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    Approximate weight?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021