Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt and The Monkey Mafia (Weee... I got recordings online)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I decided screw everything, my bandname is Matt and The Monkey Mafia. I don't know if I'll ever release the CD, but I have MP3s up on soundclick now...

http://www.soundclick.com/mattandthemonkeymafia

Kinda weird, kinda junky production, kinda not good, but I'm pretty convinced that's kinda what I was going for. ;) So you gotta give me that.

Feedback? Is anything not working?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Sort of sounds like the soundtrack to a Wim Wenders film...

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmmmmmmmm...

I'll be right back

.... *gets in the car and heads to KFC*

Wirm Wenders... ohhh I don't know what that is. :crying:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I hear ya, that's the problem with all of my songs, little to no arrangement went into them. Very spur of the moment. Now I want to look into making that "real" music you speak of. ;)

I've got about 30 tracks of this kind of stuff, varying degress of weirdness, it's been a test for me of layering, recording, writing drum tracks. Basically practice for writing real stuff. I've been really getting into Doom Metal lately, If I get good anytime soon, I want to write a Doom album.

5. good stuff.

I particularly like "The cat's ass" and "West side ride"- there's a bit in there that reminds me of when practising I play the intro to Iron Maiden's "murders in the rue morgue"- B, C and D notes plus open string harmonics.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Matt, that kicks a$$. Benton Dent is my favorite, followed by Aural sex. :bassist:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks Bliss and MTR, I appreciate it! :bassist:

I'm going to have a MATMM song on the sampler too. If I ever make a CD out of my stuff, I'll hand out a few here on talkbass.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I liked The Horrors of Being Alone, Denton Bent and The Cat's Ass.

Good stuff, and with a little more arranging, it could be even gooder

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, yeah. I swear... I want to start writing songs now! These are more me having fun which I think holds some merit on it's own, but songs can't stand on merit alone. I want to structure things more, maybe get "guests artists" or even permanent fixtures (Pizzlestains Deluxe have been talking about getting back together to record. :D Work on adding vocals and new sounds and all that jazz. I'm actually surprized people dig this stuff at all... my girlfriend hates it. :D

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The name monkey mafia has been used before. They were a big beat band (think fatboy slim) that probably got as famous as they ever will around 1998.
    -Not nearly as interesting as you'r recordings by the way. I really like Benton Dent.

11. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah that's why I said...

I came up with The Monkey Mafia when I was in high school I'd say back in 95-96. I didn't copyright it, so I can't prove it. If they get that pissed about it if I ever release anything, I'll change it.

I was amazed when I heard someone "ripped it off" because it's such a random name.... not even all that clever.

Actually, you are the first person who confronted me about this... CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Thanks for listening/critiquing :bassist:

13. Hey matt nice work...,all your tunes seem to have a kind of ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), thing going on..which I find kind of interesting to listen to.. :meh:

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    reminds me of Mr Bungle in terms of sudden changes in musical style.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Insane... I'm about to get tested for A.D.D. :eek:

Well, that's one thing that I was going for while creating my music. Aquard genre/style jumps that work in some strange way.

ADD Rock... I like that. :hyper:

I was just about to list them as an influence.

16. Matt you get some great bass tones, very versatile for each style of music.........good job!

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. Interesting. I think that is the first music I've heard that made me laugh without even having any lyrics :D, Other than old garage band recordings of course. Those were a different kind of funny though (the OMG we sucked kind of funny, which is unfortunately followed by the OMG we haven't improved at all kind of funny).

What sort of gear/computer software/effects pedals did you use to make these recordings?

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Thanks... I think. :p

Gearwise... I've used so much different stuff. All the stuff in my profile + a pretty generic yamaha keyboard + a Peavy guitar + I use to own a Zoom 506II that I gave to Osama Spears, but I used it on a few recordings + all sorts of fun effects inside of Cool Edit Pro 2.0 the program I use to record. All of my MP3s I'm going to make a CD out of I've been recording over the process of 2-3 years, and they are all very spur of the moment. I sit in front of my computer, very often blank slate, no idea what I'm going to do, and just write/improvise/mess around. It's a fun way of getting new ideas, plus I made some weird assed music.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my CD (Making artwork/Writing a few more songs/Burning CDs/Etc). I'd really like to pass out a few CDs for free, but shipping, what does shipping a CD cost? Because I'm a college kid, and money doesn't come around as often as I'd like. But there are a few TBers that I owe one to and will find a way. I'm going to try to give away as many copies as possible, plus the guy at the local CD store says he wants a "local artists" section and he'd sell my CD. Who knows? I mean, couldn't you see my stuff getting really popular and making it on MTV! :oops:

I am going to give a copy to my friend Larry who is a film major and tell him if he wants he can use my song to make a weird music video of some kind (I've done music for him before). But once I get this CD "done" I'm going to give writing stuff a chance.

Sorry I keep saying that, I figure the more I say it, the more I'll force myself to do it! :oops:

Thanks for listening Lloyd. :)