Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt and The Monkey Mafia

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey, I'm working on creating a "noise" CD right now. I've got one track out under the name "Matt and The Monkey Mafia". It's all bass... except the drums that I programmed. I was working on creating a kinda dark thing/experimenting with effect. My girlfriend said something along the lines of, "I heard you playing good things, but then you put all those effects on and it sounds like garbage." Does anyone else like to mess around with noise/experiemental music?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yes, and my wife sometimes says the same thing, except the effects part!:D

I like to add just a little chorus to most things, but a good distortion and flange can make good stuff too. Those are the only effects I have, but they're fun to make noise with.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Where's the composition forum when you need it? ;)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah... I get THAT too! I'm pretty sure Amber hates my noise "music". It is... weird and not good sounding... understandable.

5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I've been making some strange noise tracks lately with my ancient Korg synth going through a Boss GT-6B. The arpeggiator + wah + chorus + distortion + reverb + phaser combination is... let's call it "different."

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I went to a show up here in Edinboro, PA and it was cool, I was expecting just another pop punk show :rolleyes: But was surprised/delighted/inspired by a noise performance. Doesn't sound appealing, but this is how the show went. It displayed sound as...

Funny
    Angry
    Insane
    Danceable
    Beautiful/Atmospheric

pretty much in that order via different bands. I've looked at noise in a new way now, I totally think it's a legit thing, I use to think, phhhhhhtt anyone could do that, but they were actually pretty talented... except the "funny" band.

7. noise is wicked fun. sometimes when i play a jam with my band it ends in noise; i usually wind up doing crap with a drumstick or a soda can :)confused: ) then some cool hendrix-esque slides on a mic stand:D
    i love being a goofball. someday i want to try and make some intelligent noise music. until then...:p

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I haven't made anything "intellegent" much lately... my other songs border on funny. I only have the one uploaded. The others are on a computer that isn't connected to the internet. There are like 6 others. So I have 7 songs total, and they time out at about 12 minutes together :rolleyes: I need to get a lot done if I wanna create a CD... but it's fun.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "Slow and Painful" by Matt and The Monkey Mafia was number 29 on the Dark Ambient/Noise charts, but because of an Error on MP3.com I'm not on the charts. I'm doing good... but I"m not on the charts, which strikes me as a giant suck. I emailed them asking for help. I love it when my songs do good :D

10. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    you really have a girlfriend..?wow

:D

I don't:(

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I've quizzed her several times why she dates me, I've even tried convincing her to dump me, "Come on, you can do better than that." Kinda thing. :D It can't be my looks, because I'm not good looking, it can't be my personality... I'm a bass player. :D It can't be my money I'm poor. Oh... and I'm terrible at sex. So uhhhh, I don't get women.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :)

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I saw a "noise" show at the Maritime Hall (RIP) in San Francisco. It was a group from LA, I think, called Crash Worship. They had naked chics kissing, a naked chic doing unsavory things to a real goat head while wearing a strap-on, fireworks, various spraying substances, and hundreds of fanatical fans (redundant, I know) dancing around naked in war paint.

The noise part sucked.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, that show sounded cool. But yeah, I like noise that is well arranged and interesting. If you know that they put thought into it rather than bashed as many keys on a keyboard and distorted everything and screamed into a microphone.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm so stoked, my problem is fixed. I'm on the charts at number sixteen... mAtt n" Duh MunkEy mAfIA RULZ!

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That reminds me... no one has commented on my song... :mad: If anyone has any comments... good or bad... they are welcome.

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

not signed up with mp3.com
    sorry.:oops:

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's not that hard :rolleyes: :D

Eh, whatev... I'm working on a new song... I don't know if I like it so far. We'll see though.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    heh, I got an email from some guy saying he loved our music. He wanted to know if he could get one of my cds to show around to his "peeps" because he apparently has connections. Matt and The Monkey Mafia is actually one guy :D And I've only got like 7 or 8 songs which total out at about 15 minutes.

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    then is it still "noise"?