Matt Artinger...very cool!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

I dropped off my Acacia 6 to have some neck / fretboard maintenance done. Matt was recommended to me by another local bassist as the only guy he'd trust around here.

I decided to take his advice.

First of all, the nicest guy you'll ever deal with...absolutely. I think I'm a pretty good judge, and this guy was very genuine. Probably 26-29 years old or so. I recently saw one of his big box archtops being played by a guy in another local band.

His shop is in his basement. Looking around, I noticed the sides for many in-process arched and carved-top geetars settling in molds. Also, a number of tops in various stages of completeness. I saw a few yet to be finished, partially assembled axes. Holy mackerel, these guitars were among the sweetest pieces of work on a guitar I've ever seen. Then he opened up a case and busted out a red burst, double cutaway archtop with koa binding, ebony (I think) fingerboard, matching tailpiece ... it was the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen up close. Very classy yet edgy looking.

I'm seriously considering getting him to build me a fretless 6. It's about a 6-8 month lead time. All custom.

So, relative to buying a high-end boutique bass in the city, the lead time is long, the prices reflect the custom work needed, but the guy is cool and stands behind his work...which is, in a word, remarkable. He's also only a 25 minute drive for me, so I can stop in and pester him while my bass is being made.

I'll decide soon and keep you guys updated if I go that route.
  2. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001

That's a sweet looking bass!!!
  3. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    And he's a great tech too!!!

I just got back my Acacia after he did some work on it.

He took out all the frets, trued up the neck, repaired some hairline cracking in the ebony board, leveled it out and sanded/polished it, then put in all new fretwire...

This bass freakin SINGS!!! There is not a buzz, rattle, or weird noise in it from B to C.

I am about to purchase a vinatge Ken Smith 4 and I expect it will need some work too. Ken Smith's plant is just a few miles farther down the road from me than Artinger...I'll give the work to Matt regardless.

So now I'm working on specs for a hollowbody fretless 4. Look at the archtops and carvedtops on his site and imaging those being basses!!!

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I got to check out one of his basses and a couple of his solidbody and hollowbody guitars at at the Philly guitar show a few years back--very nice! Would love to see a hollowbody bass from him.