Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Bissonette - Any info?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pc, Apr 2, 2003.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Joe Satriani will play here next week. Does anybody know about his bassist, Matt Bissonette???

I've been to his site , but couldn't find much...

2. Good player, solid/in the groove playing. Takes care of Business...That's all I can think about him right now...

3. I do know that he's the brother of drummer, Greg Bissonette, who played drums on the Bass Extremes Project with Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. But I've never heard his playing before.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    He used to play with David Lee Roth on the Skyscraper tour. He was Billy Shehans replacement. He was just riding out roots when I saw him, will probably do pretty much the same with Satriani, most of Satch's work that Ive heard tends to have basslines that do that.

However If memory serves me correctly, he is also a jazzer and has been composing jazz type or show type tunes, might have even been session work. (His own project I think) It was in a Bass Player article on him. So Id imagine that he's much better than what I heard on the Roth tour. If you have access to older Bass Player mags Im sure you'll find it. I dont remember the issue that it was in, but I do know it was in BP.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If you go to the Michael Kelly website you will find some sound files he plays an AE bass on.

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Matt's currently playing in Ringo's All-Starr band as well as joining Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big/Racer X) and Neil Morse (Spock's Beard) in "Yellow Matter Custard", a Beatles tribute band playing the Modern Drummer Festival and a one-off at B.B. King's in NYC.

Not to shabby to be handling Macca's parts in not one, but two bands. :D

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    check out his brothers solo albums. he plays on them and wrote the music.

8. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I saw him live with Satch, he looked very bored.

9. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Does anyone know why Satriani "changed" Stu Hamm by Matt??

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I read in a quite recent interview that Stu wanted to cut back on touring in order to spend more with his family.

11. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    My drummer friend , David Demeter plays with Matt ,and I sat in on his trio gig ( I think they are called "the Greatful Dudes" at a bar in Long Beach a little over a year ago .I called David and left him a voice mail.I asked him where Matt is.If he calls me back-I'll post what info he tells me.