Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Freeman kinda sound...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dirtjumper2001, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just wondering if anyones got any advice, I don't know if there have been threads about this before, but if so then please point me in the right direction :D
    What strings should I fit to my Mia Fender Jazz to get a tone kinda similar to Matt Freeman of Rancid on their album "...And out come the wolves". I like the deep growl he gets on the low notes but also like the tone on the higher notes. So I guess I'm after a set which I can get nice growl out of but nice punchy highs. Thanks in advance.

2. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    not positive but I'm guessing light or medium light strings with an active bass.. I'm pretty sure he uses something liek a sansamp...

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    He uses an MIA jazz. He uses a pick, but plays near the neck instead of the bridge.

4. I know that, I own an MIA Jazz too, and I play near the neck. What I wanna know is what strings (steel/nickel?, guage, etc)

5. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    probably medium light nickle round wounds...

no matter how hard you try you'll probably never find that sound... all basses sound different... amps sound different... I suggest trying to find your own niche... something that sounds good within your band.... thats what is important...

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    very true....this has been said by many people here regarding questions like this....so on that piece of advice im shuttin this one down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.