Matt Freeman Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ejsagun, May 17, 2003.

1. ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    hey all you rancid fans,

what kind of pedal can give me a Matt Freeman bass tone?

any input would be apreciated
  2. Matt freeman clearly says in a video that he don't use effects. He says his setup is : bass-cord-amp.
  3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Yup. Take Pbass (sometimes a Jazz), crank volume and tone both wide open, play with pick. Think he's using Gallien-Kreuger amps and an SVT 8x10. No effects no nuffin.
  4. Depends which album you want his tone from. On the most recent (2000), I think he used an Ibanez. I might be wrong. On the others he used P's and J's mostly. In the Hyena vid he is using a PJ. And I've seen pictures of him using a Stingray too. So there you go. And as the Lurker said, GK and SWR complete the set up.
  5. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    I read in an interview years ago that he said he
    always would practice without an amp-that way his
    attack on the strings would have to be hard so
    that he could hear it- he said that way he is
    able to get "his" tone through any amp-
    1st 2 Rancid lps- J-Bass through Acoustic 370
    w/ 4-15"
    Others- J-Bass, P-Bass, Ibenez through G-K or
    Ampeg SVT w/ Ampeg 8-10"
    (the last album (s/t) definitely sounds like a
    G-K head to me- the latest press says he is
    back to all Ampeg).
  6. sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    ^let's pick this puppy up^

If someone has dialed up a good Freeman tone off your Sansamp Bass Driver, could you share it?

7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    To me, all he has is a sound with the low mids really boosted.
  8. sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Fair enough, could someone else tell a good SA Bass Driver setting to achieve this tone that is "nothing special"?

And forgive if I seem rude, that is not my intention. I'm just a bit of a newbie when it becomes to the Sansamp. And btw, my amp is a Marshall JCM 800 Bass and my cabinet is a Mesa 2x12.
  9. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    either he wants amp settings tailor made for him...or wants this to become a pissing contest
  10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm away from my gear the now so I have to recall this.... try the SVT setting with the presence up and the lows boosted just a hair. Adjust the drive knob to taste.

More important, though, is the bass and playing-- i.e. he uses a pick, and make sure you've plenty of treble and high mids in your sound to get the clank.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Uhm... off? Seriously, what everyone said... no effects... lots of low mids... and nice hard picking.

Also, for his "cleaner" sound, new strings help a lot!