Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Freeman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Sep 4, 2000.

1. What kind of bass does Matt Freeman (Rancid) play? It sounds nifty. Hes a good bassist too.

2. Last I heard, he was playing Jazz basses.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    yup, jazz basses, standard, possibly old, but passive indeed.

4. how the hell does he play that solo on their new cd?
    im always tring to play his stuff but all i can manage is roots radicals

if you know the right way to play some of their new stuff please email me @ nickis_thebest@hotmail.com

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to "Bassists"

Will C.:cool:

6. that's cool, nick. roots radicals is actually a pretty difficult piece to learn (can i say that without snooty bass experts jumping all over me? thanks) but it's a lot of fun. i love playing olympia, WA also.

ps check out the clash!!!

7. i love the clash. i like all that old school punk

8. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    Two hints... Play with a pick (Freeman does), and practice like a mad man. Enough practice, and you'll get it.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    ok now i´m curious...in what song is that solo? (i don´t have the cd, but i´d like to check it out)

10. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Operation Ivy was awesome. I can play a lot of Freeman's old stuff from them.. It's not really hard if you compare it to some rancid albums.

11. i forget what the name of the song is but i think its number 16 on their new self titled release

operation ivy was awesome
    check out rancid's cd "and out come the wolves" its by far their best

12. The song with the crazy solo is called "Axiom" I think.

13. Christine23

Christine23

Aug 31, 2000
    yeah matt's definately a great bassist... I'm a huge rancid fan and practice a whole lot but so far i'm still fine-tuning Roots Radicals and Time Bomb. hey, has anyone worked out the solo in Maxwell Murder? (it's #1 on "...And Out Come The Wolves") it's so awesome
    Christine

14. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    heres a really simple one that everyone can play,
    journey to the end of the eastbay,

matt is un arguably the best bassist,
    in my opinion,
    i can play most of his songs,
    detroit is also pretty easy the begining anyway,
    in my opinion the hardest is maxwell murder,
    those aren't much harder then roots radicals to me anyway,
    have a nice day

15. I have read a lot of messages on talkbass who were talking about Matt Freeman. It seems that he is a very good bassist. The only thing i know about him is that he is in rancid, but i never heard a song from that band, and i am looking for a couple of rancid's songs with great bass lines. Any suggestions?

16. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Im sure this list could have more than half Rancids songs but the songs of theirs that I the bass in most is:

Maxwell Murder
    Axiom
    Detroit
    Radio Havana
    Journey to the End of East Bay
    Time Bomb
    Dope Sick Girl
    Black Hawk Down

I know I forgot a lot of songs but I bet someone else will get them.

17. just get "...and out come the wolves." trust me, buy the album, you need it. it's a modern classic.

18. And get "Lets Go", plus get an Op Ivy CD (hes on that too, and IMO, sounds best in a ska(ish) setting.

19. nearly 95 percent of all rancid songs have truly awesome basslines. The other percent is when Matt sings and simplifies the bass a little.

20. I think he's excellent, a great punk bass player.