Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Freeman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by scowley, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Hey! im a huge Rancid fan and i think Matt Freeman is a quality bassist. Could anybody tell me some bassists who play to the same style as Matt?

cheers
    scowl:bassist:

2. Freeman has a style all his own, there are not really any bassists that have much similarity to his style. Closest I can think of is Mike Watt of the Minutemen and fIREHOSE. He is a little funkier than Matt, but he's really cool.

Paul Simonon also, he was sort of the basis for Freeman's style.

You could also try Frenzel Rhomb.

3. Regarding punk, Freeman is the "uncrowned" king of the entire genre.... He is fantastically innovative and fast... Those are the criterias which made me love all he ever did once... (op Ivy, Auntie Christ, Rancid etc.)

4. I love Matt Freeman, simply because he makes actually non-complicated basslines sound like gold.
    His tone per se is not what I want in my bass (lots of warmth with midrange growl, not a lot of predominant highs; not a fan of Bill Dickens' tone here) but he TOTALLY drives Rancid's music, and their are a limited number of punk bands that rely on the bass so heavily. Ska is a different story though.

Paul Simonon and Mike Watt, well, they played for great bands, and they were great bassists. Enough said, no more words are needed.

5. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    He rocks.

6. also check out JJ Burnel with The Stranglers-

his frenetic style and biting tone on punk-era songs like "Tank" "Curfew" "Goodbye toulouse" "No more heroes"(the intro) was similar.

7. John Entwistle! he didn't really sound like freeman that much. but he's matts biggest influence, and he even admitted that he ripped off most of his lines when he was in Op Ivy. It's not that obvious when you hear op ivy, but if you listen you can really tell. Matt has evolved a lot since those days though and has a style completely his own, unmatched by any punk bassists and most rock bassists. He's an amazing man!

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    he is an amazing bassist!!

maxwell murder is a piece of art!:D :bassist:

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I think that Matt Freeman is a very good bassist. Defintley one the kings of punk bassists anyway. Of course, there is not as much competion in the punk, IMHO.

10. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I think Axiom was better than Maxwell murder.

11. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Matt has said many times that one of his primary influences on bass was John Doe of X. Seriously an underrated bassist. Check out the first 3 X records for audio proof. Good stuff.

Matt is the man. I'm still having trouble figuring out some of his lines on the OPIVY stuff from '89!!;)

As far as Rancid goes, Journey To The End Of The East Bay has my fave Matt bassline.

12. Would that make Mike Watt the "crowned" king?;)

13. Yeah, assumably that is very true...:bassist:

14. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Im not a big fan of Rancid, but Matt is a great bassist. I prefer Fat Mike from NOFX though.

15. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    is...this a thread about stupidmatt?

oh.. wait no

matt from rancid.. oh yeah ...hes good!

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Matt from Matt and The Monkey Mafia rocks ass, yo.

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    He also said that he learned bass by listening to Live at Leeds over and over again.

18. wow, my thread sure has taken off!

i prefer maxwell murder to Axiom although the solo in Axiom may b better the song isn't! and journey to the end of east bay is an amazing song! shame about the verse tho, it shulda carried it on with summit as cool as the intro!!

and fat mike is nothing on matt!!

scowl:bassist:

19. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    The axiom solo is just a bunch of random hit notes.

Maxwell murder has a ring to it. :spit:

20. I totally agree... the maxwell murder solo is IMO way more brilliant...